Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Spanking someone else's kid???

Posted by on Apr. 26, 2014 at 1:58 PM
  • 229 Replies

Poll

Question: Would you spank your niece with her mom's permission if absolutely warranted?

Options:

Yes, but never on the bare butt.

Never - not my kid - even with her mother's permission

Yes - the bare butt is ok if necessary

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 455

View Results

I watch my sister's 8 year old daughter Ashley every afternoon for a few hours until her mom gets home from work.  As most 8 year olds will do, she has done some things to get herself in trouble with her mom (like telling me I can "#uck off" a couple days ago after I asked her to practice her flash cards for homework instead of play with the iPad).  I really didn't do anything in response.  When I spoke to my sister about this, she ended up reprimanding Ashley and gave her a spanking.  She asked me to use my best judgment when warranted, and requested I give her a spanking myself next time.

I really don't know how I feel about this.  I agree Ashley needed a spanking, but I don't know about pulling someone else's kid over my lap and spanking her.  My sister spanks on the bare butt with her hand - I don't think I would spank my niece on the bare butt, I mean unless it was absolutely called for.  So am I crazy feeling so anxious about this? 

by on Apr. 26, 2014 at 1:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 26, 2014 at 2:03 PM
5 moms liked this

Wow, she needs major discipline that is for sure.  Look out though.  The anti spanking people will jump on this. 9 is way too old for spanking actually.  At least to me.  

themaurer7
by Member on Apr. 26, 2014 at 2:05 PM
I wouldn't fe comfortable doing that at that age or any age really. I would set your rules for your home and comr up with different consistent consequences and discuss them with your sister.
Monica117
by New Member on Apr. 26, 2014 at 2:05 PM
2 moms liked this
No, I wouldn't. But I don't spank my own kids either.
idunno1234
by Member on Apr. 26, 2014 at 2:07 PM
5 moms liked this
That is wrong on so many levels.

And I would say your niece f*ing you out is an indicator that not only does spanking and humiliating an 8 year old not work but is creating a very angry child.

I never spanked my four kids and can't imagine any of them- 13-22- talking to me or anyone else that way.

She needs parenting classes ASAP or your niece's teen years are going to be an utter nightmare.
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 26, 2014 at 2:14 PM
3 moms liked this

Her behavior has NOTHING to do with being spanked.  Kids are brats that are not spanked.  I don't see why people don't realize this.  Kids that have been disciplined or not disciplined at all can be obnoxious.  She needs serious consistant discipline but no longer spanking at that age.  Spanking is for toddlers and preschoolers.  One swat on the butt. 

Quoting idunno1234: That is wrong on so many levels. And I would say your niece f*ing you out is an indicator that not only does spanking and humiliating an 8 year old not work but is creating a very angry child. I never spanked my four kids and can't imagine any of them- 13-22- talking to me or anyone else that way. She needs parenting classes ASAP or your niece's teen years are going to be an utter nightmare.

idunno1234
by Member on Apr. 26, 2014 at 2:18 PM
4 moms liked this
Well.... since I posted the ages of my 4 kids and made it clear none of them were spanked and they would never exhibit that type of behavior, are all wonderful, respectable and respected people, your assertion is foolish.

Quoting atlmom2:

Her behavior has NOTHING to do with being spanked.  Kids are brats that are not spanked.  I don't see why people don't realize this.  Kids that have been disciplined or not disciplined at all can be obnoxious.  She needs serious consistant discipline but no longer spanking at that age.  Spanking is for toddlers and preschoolers.  One swat on the butt. 

Quoting idunno1234: That is wrong on so many levels.

And I would say your niece f*ing you out is an indicator that not only does spanking and humiliating an 8 year old not work but is creating a very angry child.

I never spanked my four kids and can't imagine any of them- 13-22- talking to me or anyone else that way.

She needs parenting classes ASAP or your niece's teen years are going to be an utter nightmare.

aurora.dove
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2014 at 2:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm with you on this one, my SD is the same age as OP's neice and spanking has been used as discipline on her for several years. More by her bio mom than dad, but she has never spoken to anyone like that. 

Quoting atlmom2:

Quoting idunno1234: That is wrong on so many levels. And I would say your niece f*ing you out is an indicator that not only does spanking and humiliating an 8 year old not work but is creating a very angry child. I never spanked my four kids and can't imagine any of them- 13-22- talking to me or anyone else that way. She needs parenting classes ASAP or your niece's teen years are going to be an utter nightmare.

Mrs.Urquhart
by Member on Apr. 26, 2014 at 2:19 PM
3 moms liked this
When in my care, I treat my niece and nephew like my own kids.

My sister does the same with mine. This would include spanking.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 26, 2014 at 2:32 PM
2 moms liked this

Mine are wonderful respectful adults who were spanked as a young child.  Your theory is moot.  Every spanked child is not horrendous.

Quoting idunno1234: Well.... since I posted the ages of my 4 kids and made it clear none of them were spanked and they would never exhibit that type of behavior, are all wonderful, respectable and respected people, your assertion is foolish.
Quoting atlmom2:

idunno1234
by Member on Apr. 26, 2014 at 2:47 PM
5 moms liked this
No, my point is that spanking is unnecessary.

Period.

Quoting atlmom2:

Mine are wonderful respectful adults who were spanked as a young child.  Your theory is moot.  Every spanked child is not horrendous.

Quoting idunno1234: Well.... since I posted the ages of my 4 kids and made it clear none of them were spanked and they would never exhibit that type of behavior, are all wonderful, respectable and respected people, your assertion is foolish.

Quoting atlmom2:

Quoting idunno1234: That is wrong on so many levels.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)