Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Spanking someone else's kid???

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Would you spank your niece with her mom's permission if absolutely warranted?

Options:

Yes, but never on the bare butt.

Never - not my kid - even with her mother's permission

Yes - the bare butt is ok if necessary

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 455

View Results

I watch my sister's 8 year old daughter Ashley every afternoon for a few hours until her mom gets home from work.  As most 8 year olds will do, she has done some things to get herself in trouble with her mom (like telling me I can "#uck off" a couple days ago after I asked her to practice her flash cards for homework instead of play with the iPad).  I really didn't do anything in response.  When I spoke to my sister about this, she ended up reprimanding Ashley and gave her a spanking.  She asked me to use my best judgment when warranted, and requested I give her a spanking myself next time.

I really don't know how I feel about this.  I agree Ashley needed a spanking, but I don't know about pulling someone else's kid over my lap and spanking her.  My sister spanks on the bare butt with her hand - I don't think I would spank my niece on the bare butt, I mean unless it was absolutely called for.  So am I crazy feeling so anxious about this? 

by on Apr. 26, 2014 at 1:58 PM
Replies (61-70):
JAIRATRACI
by on Apr. 27, 2014 at 10:40 AM
It would depend on the kid. If my sister had a kid then yes. My ex's mom has a 9 year old and she says I can spank him but I don't. I don't trust her not to call CPS if I were to spank him. I use time out or take away electronics instead.
Jaide2883
by Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 10:58 AM
3 moms liked this
I swatted my nephew on Easter Sunday. He hit me with a full water bottle twice I said hit me with it again and I'm gonna tag you. He hit me again I pulled him over a knee and swatted him twice. Then he had to go tell his mom why I spanked his little butt. Her answer was if have spanked u more then twice.

For our family when we are together it's family parenting. My parents brothers sisters and grandparents all handle the kids. I come from an extremely large family that believes it takes a village to raise a child. And we all try to help. Especially while all the women are in the kitchen cooking the meal or cleaning up.
TheMommaJessie
by on Apr. 27, 2014 at 11:05 AM
1 mom liked this

i pop my niece and nephew when needed their mom is there 2 if she is in kitchen working and i catch the kids doing something bad i pick them up and pop em. sister in law is perfectly fine with it.

ddjakxm
by Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 11:25 AM
Yes I would spank if necessary but not bare butt clothes on at all points but I would spank hands not butts. They bruise too easy and even to this day with my teens i use alternative methods like pushups and fron lean rest sitting on the wall hold books with arems out. Mu three year old stands in the corner until she is ready to talk about it and i know some children are different but corporal discipline should always be the last result.
natural_s
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 11:52 AM

I don't disagree with spanking but I would never spank anyone else's child not even my own nieces and nephews and my sister has said the same thing to me but never would do it.  I have had the same feelings so your not crazy for feeling like that.

polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 11:53 AM
1 mom liked this
You missed the option of no, never because I don't hit children.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.anonymous
by on Apr. 27, 2014 at 12:04 PM
I wouldn't, even WITH permission.
LoveMyBoyK
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 12:08 PM
How is it foolish? She was not saying that kids who are not spanked are all brats she was saying there are kids who are brats who are not spanked and that is it ridiculous to act like spanking CAUSES kids to be brats. Because jst like your kids turned out fine and were not spanked, countless children who were spa ked also turned out fine.

Quoting idunno1234: Well.... since I posted the ages of my 4 kids and made it clear none of them were spanked and they would never exhibit that type of behavior, are all wonderful, respectable and respected people, your assertion is foolish.

Quoting atlmom2:

Her behavior has NOTHING to do with being spanked.  Kids are brats that are not spanked.  I don't see why people don't realize this.  Kids that have been disciplined or not disciplined at all can be obnoxious.  She needs serious consistant discipline but no longer spanking at that age.  Spanking is for toddlers and preschoolers.  One swat on the butt. 

Quoting idunno1234: That is wrong on so many levels.

And I would say your niece f*ing you out is an indicator that not only does spanking and humiliating an 8 year old not work but is creating a very angry child.

I never spanked my four kids and can't imagine any of them- 13-22- talking to me or anyone else that way.

She needs parenting classes ASAP or your niece's teen years are going to be an utter nightmare.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoveMyBoyK
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 12:16 PM
She did NOT say that ALL kids who are not spanked are brats. She was saying that there ARE kids who are brats who are not spanked.

Quoting BmoreRavens:

Quoting atlmom2: I thought the same thing thing about your posts. 

I don't have a theory. I have facts. The facts are that I have  grandchildren who were never spanked and who are not spoiled brats. And they have friends who were never spanked who are not spoiled brats.

It's absurd to say that ALL children who are not spanked are brats. And it's a really lame excuse for you (or anyone else) to use to attempt to justify hitting children, and then to brainwash these children into believing that they needed to be hit. No, they didn't need to be hit - you had a need to hit them. 

Spanking is banned in 33 countries - so according to your theory  - every single child in all 33 countries who are not getting spanked are all spolied brats!! smh

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EcoModernMom
by on Apr. 27, 2014 at 12:18 PM
1 mom liked this

nope. i don't spank my own. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN