Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Spanking someone else's kid???

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Would you spank your niece with her mom's permission if absolutely warranted?

Options:

Yes, but never on the bare butt.

Never - not my kid - even with her mother's permission

Yes - the bare butt is ok if necessary

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 455

View Results

I watch my sister's 8 year old daughter Ashley every afternoon for a few hours until her mom gets home from work.  As most 8 year olds will do, she has done some things to get herself in trouble with her mom (like telling me I can "#uck off" a couple days ago after I asked her to practice her flash cards for homework instead of play with the iPad).  I really didn't do anything in response.  When I spoke to my sister about this, she ended up reprimanding Ashley and gave her a spanking.  She asked me to use my best judgment when warranted, and requested I give her a spanking myself next time.

I really don't know how I feel about this.  I agree Ashley needed a spanking, but I don't know about pulling someone else's kid over my lap and spanking her.  My sister spanks on the bare butt with her hand - I don't think I would spank my niece on the bare butt, I mean unless it was absolutely called for.  So am I crazy feeling so anxious about this? 

by on Apr. 26, 2014 at 1:58 PM
Replies (131-140):
Basherte
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 8:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't. I don't agree with spanking.

tansyflower
by on Apr. 27, 2014 at 9:05 PM
1 mom liked this
Yup, just did it last week. We have laid out spanking rules and when my niece went into the road she got a hard spanking for it. I would expect my sister to do the same to my kids in that situation.
o0gone0o
by Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 9:06 PM

I will discipline my nieces if needed  such as time out or something but I won't apply corporal punishment. I do to my own and if mine are acting way  out of control that time out isn't working they get a good swat to the rear. Nieces have seen this  so I think they believe I would also smack their butts if  they continued acting out as one time out session is about as far as they push the limits with me or DF.

amnesiacaj
by on Apr. 27, 2014 at 9:12 PM

I said yes, but want to clarify that like OP, I would absolutely need the parent(s)' permission first.

I did spank a friend of mine's kid (with her permission) many many years ago (one swat, not heavy-handed) - he was 4 or 5 and had been warned about the consequences.  He learned and never needed it again.

conweis
by on Apr. 27, 2014 at 10:25 PM
Spanking doesn't = angry foul mouth kids. Some kids are just disrespectful. I was beat as a child and never cussed my mom out or any other adult as a child. I xan say my kids have never used fouled language against my SO or me either and are spanked on occassion.

Quoting idunno1234: Well.... since I posted the ages of my 4 kids and made it clear none of them were spanked and they would never exhibit that type of behavior, are all wonderful, respectable and respected people, your assertion is foolish.

Quoting atlmom2:

Her behavior has NOTHING to do with being spanked.  Kids are brats that are not spanked.  I don't see why people don't realize this.  Kids that have been disciplined or not disciplined at all can be obnoxious.  She needs serious consistant discipline but no longer spanking at that age.  Spanking is for toddlers and preschoolers.  One swat on the butt. 

Quoting idunno1234: That is wrong on so many levels.

And I would say your niece f*ing you out is an indicator that not only does spanking and humiliating an 8 year old not work but is creating a very angry child.

I never spanked my four kids and can't imagine any of them- 13-22- talking to me or anyone else that way.

She needs parenting classes ASAP or your niece's teen years are going to be an utter nightmare.

conweis
by on Apr. 27, 2014 at 10:26 PM
If parents gave permission I would.
neptunekitty
by on Apr. 27, 2014 at 10:46 PM

i would just stand her in the corner for eight minutes, if she fights or doesnt go then ground her from the ipad or something she likes doing.

nikkirb
I got spanked until the day I moved out. Like my parents always said " if you live in my house you will obey by my rules " and " there is no age limit on butt whippin's in this house". The world is getting to lenient on kids now which is why you here more 8 year olds telling an adult to fuck off. I couldn't imagine ever saying that to anyone at that age. I definitely wouldn't have been able to walk for a week after :)
If your niece is under your care and she is disrespectful towards you, yes you should whip her, ( pants on since )
Only if its a relatives child though, never someone who's not related.

Quoting atlmom2:

Wow, she needs major discipline that is for sure.  Look out though.  The anti spanking people will jump on this. 9 is way too old for spanking actually.  At least to me.  

nikkirb
I got spanked until the day I moved out. Like my parents always said " if you live in my house you will obey by my rules " and " there is no age limit on butt whippin's in this house". The world is getting to lenient on kids now which is why you here more 8 year olds telling an adult to fuck off. I couldn't imagine ever saying that to anyone at that age. I definitely wouldn't have been able to walk for a week after :)
If your niece is under your care and she is disrespectful towards you, yes you should whip her, ( pants on since )

Quoting atlmom2:

Wow, she needs major discipline that is for sure.  Look out though.  The anti spanking people will jump on this. 9 is way too old for spanking actually.  At least to me.  

nikkirb
by on Apr. 27, 2014 at 10:47 PM

Quoting atlmom2:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)