Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

? for those who spank.....

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2014 at 9:07 AM
  • 37 Replies

I have always wondered this and saw someone post it again today so I thought that I would ask. Why is it ok to spank very little children, yet many of you have said that 8 - 9 year olds are too old for spanking? If spanking is effective, why isn't it ok at 8 years old, or even older? Or, conversely, what makes it SO effective with a toddler when it's said to be not effective with an 8 year old? I would think that an older child would better understand what was happening vs. a 2 year old simply being hit by someone bigger than them.  The other question that always comes to mind (and did over this weekend when I spent time with my sister-in-law and her 4 and 5 year old) is this: my nephews were fighting and the 5 year old hit the 4 year old pretty hard - my sister-in-law spanked him for hitting.  How does that work?  If you are hitting them, aren't you just teaching them to hit? 

I'm fairly vocal against hitting anyone - children, spouses, strangers - but I'm not meaning this as a trolling post to bait someone into an argument with me.  I would really like to hear from thoughtful people who have thought this out. 

by on Apr. 28, 2014 at 9:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shakesrear
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 9:14 AM
1 mom liked this

I think the justification is: under a certain age, children can't reason, so in order to punish them (to stop an unwanted behavior), then you have to spank them. When they are older and their cognitive abilites are more developed, then you can punish them in non-corporal ways.

I don't spank and I don't even punish. There are other ways of working through unacceptable behavior, but it takes effort, education, and a great respect for others.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 9:21 AM
A swat on the butt is an attention getter for the young ones. I did one only. Later other discipline is better. Yes, this will start the anti spanking trolls too. I don't get all the posts. Do what works for you and leave the spanking to others.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jenn8604
by Gold Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 9:22 AM
2 moms liked this
I was spanked after 8 years old.
I will spank my ds after 8 years old.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gkcathey
by Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 9:25 AM

Do you mind sharing why you have chosen this?  Is there an age limit for you?  When your 16 year old is mouthing off, will you hit them?

Quoting Jenn8604: I was spanked after 8 years old. I will spank my ds after 8 years old.

strictmomhere
by Platinum Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 9:48 AM
There is no age limit here i guess 18
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gkcathey
by Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 11:16 AM

BUMP!

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 11:45 AM

I'd like to know as well.

We don't hit at all in our home.

Emycf
by Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 11:59 AM
My mom actually did spank me for mouthing off really bad when i was 16. I can honestly say I deserved every bit of it and I never mouthed off again.

Quoting gkcathey:

Do you mind sharing why you have chosen this?  Is there an age limit for you?  When your 16 year old is mouthing off, will you hit them?

Quoting Jenn8604: I was spanked after 8 years old. I will spank my ds after 8 years old.

Jenn8604
by Gold Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 12:11 PM
If at 16 he decides he thinks he's man enough to mouth off he best be man enough to be smacked across the mouth for disrespecting his mother. He also won't have a social life outside of school for a month. You DO NOT back talk your parents EVER. I don't care who you are. It doesn't happen!

Quoting gkcathey:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gkcathey
by Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 12:35 PM

If you're willing to take away his social privileges and punish him that way, why is it necessary to smack him?

Quoting Jenn8604: If at 16 he decides he thinks he's man enough to mouth off he best be man enough to be smacked across the mouth for disrespecting his mother. He also won't have a social life outside of school for a month. You DO NOT back talk your parents EVER. I don't care who you are. It doesn't happen!
Quoting gkcathey:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN