Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

9 month old Sleep Issues

Posted by on May. 1, 2014 at 8:49 AM
  • 9 Replies

Hi, everyone! I am having an awful time with getting my 9 month old son to sleep at night as well as getting him down for naps. It is frustrating because I keep getting scolded by his doctor and other parents. They always say, "A baby that old should already be sleeping through the night! You need to just cut the umbilical cord already." His doctor said he does not need night feedings, but I do not buy that. I'm sorry, but I am not going to starve my son so he sleeps. I tried not feeding him last night for the first time, but I ended up giving him a bottle because he was starving.

I guess what I am asking is when and how did you get your baby to sleep through the night? How did you get your baby on a schedule for naps also? 

He is on an eating schedule and he has a good bedtime routine. I feel uncomfortable leaving him to cry. It's his way of communicating and I feel like he is telling me he needs something, whether it's a bottle or just cuddling. Thank you all in advance!!

by on May. 1, 2014 at 8:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Mrs.Urquhart
by Member on May. 1, 2014 at 8:54 AM
My son is 2 and still doesn't sleep through the night - we're down to one wake up, though.

I am highly against CIO before 18 months. Period, really.

My recommendation is just to wear him out. A nice stroller ride is usually enough to encourage naptime after. At night, dim the lights and wind it down. Don't get frustrated. After a few weeks, baby will understand bedtime is boring and start going to sleep.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2014 at 8:58 AM
2 to 3 naps in the day, massage with lavender lotion, white noise, milk should still be warmed for him, routine and schedule, 9 months= separation anxiety so give him your sleep shirt so he has Mommy scent for comfort. I also used room darkening curtains/shade during naps.
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on May. 1, 2014 at 8:59 AM
No dr should be giving non medical advice. None of my kids slept through the night
Before 18 months. They nursed throughout the night. I'm against CIO. Feed your baby.
emmy526
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2014 at 9:21 AM

his dr sounds like an idiot -- seriously

WILDCATGAL78
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2014 at 5:23 PM

I have a great doctor and she has never once said that to me! I agree, 9 months is still a baby. Feed him. My daughter is 14 months and she still doesn't sleep through the night. I still rock her to sleep and we bed share. She still takes 1-2 naps daily.

snowangel1979
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2014 at 5:36 PM
None of my 4 children slept thew the night that young. I'm a firm believer that if they need those calories at night, give it to them.
Oldest was around 11 months, second was about 13 months, third was 3 years, and DD was over 18 months.

Is he going threw some milestones. (crawling, walking, ect) My children's nap schedules always needed work anytime they hit a new milestone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
christina122952
by on May. 1, 2014 at 8:01 PM
My daughter is almost 8 months and she sleeps through the night. I would get another doctor.
Randi02
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2014 at 9:32 PM

If you're breastfeeding, he is totally fine to do those night feeds. For formula, he likely doesn't need them.

Hawaii74
by New Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 10:44 AM
I know it's been a while op, but I'm looking for hope. :/

How's lo doing now? Do you think it was separation anxiety? Growth spurt?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)