Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

My son doesn'r talk!

Posted by on May. 3, 2014 at 3:34 AM
  • 23 Replies
Hi ladies, I thought I would come in here and get some advice from you. My son is 20 months old and he still doesn't talk. At all. He will make sounds like mam-mam-mam-mam, and da-da-da-da and many other sounds, but it is never directed at anyone or thing. I know that he understands things like no, bath, his name of course, but he hasn't started saying anything. When did your kids start talking and at what point should I be worried?
by on May. 3, 2014 at 3:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Doodlebugluv
by New Member on May. 3, 2014 at 3:37 AM
Darn mobile keyboards that are so small and close together! *Doesn't*
munky.wench
by Member on May. 3, 2014 at 5:21 AM

I'm not sure at what point officially you should be worried, maybe talk to his doctor next time. My kids both started with their first words around a year, though my son is 17 months and is just now saying 'no' clearly. Most of his talking is the first sound of the word or sing song copycats of the rhythm of the words. He just cant get his mouth to make the right sounds.

But just to give you an example of the extreme, I was the same way. I didn't start talking until I was almost 3, they have no clue why other than I just didn't want to. When I did start talking I was into sentences within a couple of months. Him understanding you is the big thing right now, I'm sure he lets his needs be known in his own way.

DACIA79
by Member on May. 3, 2014 at 5:27 AM
1 mom liked this

I would suggest getting him evaluated. For me I became concerned around 15 months. Hopefully you child is just a late talker.

mamalynnsmith
by Member on May. 3, 2014 at 5:30 AM
1 mom liked this
Talk to your local school about getting him in speech class. My youngest son was delayed in his speech, now at 13 he does not shut up
nolongermstkn
by on May. 3, 2014 at 5:32 AM
My son started talking at 3 1/2 after a horrible car accident. Not sure if coincidence or what.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
facethetruth2b
by on May. 3, 2014 at 6:43 AM
1 mom liked this
Talk to your doctor. My ds was the same way . And I did not think to say anything to his doctor with the issue because I thought oh he is a late talker like me. I did not talk til I was like 4/5 . well he is in speech therapy and developmental delay ... IEP ... He was very hard to understand also . do not prolong it . my son is going on 6 in October and all though he is getting a whole lot better it is still hard to understand him with some things. Now I am waiting for the phycologists to call for further testing for ASD. The neurologist said he can not fully diagnose him but he is Mid Autisim Spectrum disorder . but have to wait for the psychologist to fully diagnose him .
Get him evaluated bring it up to his doctor asap.
prettygirl326
by Member on May. 3, 2014 at 6:50 AM
This. My oldest was in early intervention by 15 months. She's 3 1/2 now. She talks, but much of it is made up. She also doesn't speak very clearly but with time, she's getting better. I'd like to have her tested for autism, but sometimes I think she is who she is.... She'll come around eventually.

Quoting DACIA79:

I would suggest getting him evaluated. For me I became concerned around 15 months. Hopefully you child is just a late talker.

DACIA79
by Member on May. 3, 2014 at 7:24 AM

My son was tested for autism .Damien was given a pdd-nos diagnosis because of his speech . I am happy to say though with speech therapy Damien now has plenty to say and object to.

Quoting prettygirl326: This. My oldest was in early intervention by 15 months. She's 3 1/2 now. She talks, but much of it is made up. She also doesn't speak very clearly but with time, she's getting better. I'd like to have her tested for autism, but sometimes I think she is who she is.... She'll come around eventually.
Quoting DACIA79:

kiwilime
by Member on May. 3, 2014 at 7:31 AM

I have been told by our pedi. that language starts to explode at about 18 months.  I don't know at what point you should start being concerned about his language development.  If he has older siblings it is normal for language to be delayed some because they have someone else to talk for them and get them anything they need.  Talk to his doc next time he is in and find out what to do to help him along and at what point you should be concerned.

MrsErdos2011
by Member on May. 3, 2014 at 7:33 AM
Actually talking is a very small part of language. My son is 2½ and still doesn't talk a whole lot but he comprehended and understands everything we tell him. If your son can't understand what you tell him, like simple instructions (ex. Go throw it away) then I'd worry.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)