• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So.. we went to kinder roundup..

Posted by on May. 4, 2014 at 12:45 AM
  • 3 Replies

I posted this in another forum related to school but wanted to check here as well...

The teachers kept telling everyone OVER and OVER how ******IMPORTANT****** it is that the kids know how to write... with correct form.. upper and lower case BEFORE first day of school.. etc etc etc.. ,( not spelling words but just writing their letters correctly). Reading them books was a close second but they seriously emphasized the writing bit.. I couldn't believe how much they kept saying it.. there were four kinder teachers.. we would sit in their classroom for 15mins while they talked about what will be taught... what is expected.. showed us some current class work from students etc then we would go to the next teacher and repeat the process all over..

Anyway.. My child is in preschool so he's been writing since last fall. They still make him fill out handwriting papers and as time has passed instead of getting BETTER it's getting WORSE.. very sloppy handwriting.. YET when my son draws us a picture or writes his own letters, (just gibberish words) the letters are PERFECT... So, I asked him what was up.. I mean why are these always so sloppy?!?!?! and he told me that it isn't fun and it's BORING. He also holds his pen/pencil caveman style.. instead of the correct way.. the teacher has tried in vain just as much as we have to get him to write holding his pencil/pen correctly, (we have tried all kinds of pencil grips).. with no success.. the only times he has done it correctly is when an older kid, (who he didn't know) told him he was holding it wrong.. then POOF he showed us that he is fully capable for holding his pen/pencil correctly.. yet continues the caveman hold when no big kids are around.. it's so aggravating because I KNOW he can do it.... ***BUT*** I UNDERSTAND he's bored.. I would be bored too writing my name over and over and all the letters etc.. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO.. My neighbor.. who I consider a Queen Mom.. you know the type.. organized.. knows her shiz.... etc.. I love her.. I always go to her for advice and she told me to sit him down with a timer and force him to write it correctly not letting him get up unless he does it correctly, (like if he spends the entire 10mins writing sloppy that he wouldn't be done until he actually did what I asked etc).. Sounds good but I was wondering if anyone here might have any advice to throw in? 

by on May. 4, 2014 at 12:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Mom2Squared
by on May. 4, 2014 at 1:00 AM
We used Handwriting Without Tears for all 4 kids and it was awesome! I highly recommend it. My youngest DD starts Kinder this year too and her preschool teachers are blown away at her handwriting because of it.
pink.lemonade
by on May. 4, 2014 at 1:18 AM

could you explain more? I went to their site and not sure what i'm supposed to get.. if it's the $300 package I don't know if that would be feesible for me.. what products do you suggest for a kid going into kinder?

Quoting Mom2Squared: We used Handwriting Without Tears for all 4 kids and it was awesome! I highly recommend it. My youngest DD starts Kinder this year too and her preschool teachers are blown away at her handwriting because of it.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2014 at 2:15 AM

I would just get him the dry erase workbooks from dollar tree or target with dry erase markers for him to practice.   My dd has fine motor delays so it is physically harder for her to hold a pencil and write properly.   She is in 2nd grade and just this year she is able to write things down so that we can understand what has been written.  We have been using the workbooks during breaks and vacations since before kindergarten and now have apps on her kindle to help her practice as well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)