Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

going to bed problems

Posted by on May. 4, 2014 at 1:31 AM
  • 14 Replies
Has anyone else have had problems with their kids sleeping alone? My daughter has had several occassions where it seems like phases that she doesnt want to sleep alone and i have to sit in a chair in her room and wait until she falls asleep, after 3 months of doing this it can become very exhausting and frustrating. But if she spends the night at grandmas or a friend shes fine its only in her room. I dont know what to do i have tried what i believe everything i can find. Does anyone have any suggestions i would really appreciate it
by on May. 4, 2014 at 1:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
waytomanykids10
by on May. 4, 2014 at 2:09 AM

My adopted 8yo dd hates to sleep alone, she sleep with us most nights. She had a very traumatic 2 years before we got her so she has a lot of emotional problems and some physical problems due to the trauma she endured. She sleeps for a  good 4  hours straight when sleeping with us, if she sleeps alone she is up every 30-40 minutes.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2014 at 2:11 AM

What is her age?  What does grandma do differently that you do not do?   I would walk her back each time she got up, not saying a word and retucking her in.   Have you asked her what is going on? 

FyRhin0518
by on May. 4, 2014 at 1:49 PM
SHes 8..well grandma spoils her of course. This started in Jan and i have asked her and she says shes scared but doesnt tell me of what. I have gone to the school psychologist and they just say shes probably attached to me. If we just keep sendin her to her room she will not fall asleep shes so stubborn and if i just sit in the room w her in 15 mins or less shes asleep. My husband is gettin upset about this situation im more patient and i just dont know what to do. It might not sound like a big deal but it affecting everyone somehow.

Quoting frndlyfn:

What is her age?  What does grandma do differently that you do not do?   I would walk her back each time she got up, not saying a word and retucking her in.   Have you asked her what is going on? 

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2014 at 1:58 PM

Probably because you give in.  Mine always knew their room was their room and they had to sleep in it.  IF they didn't want to they could sleep anywhere they wanted but not in our room.  One time my dd was about 3 1/2 and she slept in the hallway for months.  I let her.  As long as it wasn't in my room I was fine with it. 

FyRhin0518
by on May. 4, 2014 at 2:03 PM
I told her to sleep anywhere too and i would go to bed in my room and she would keep moving me and moving me, i mean she would just NoT let me sleep. I would send her back and would tell her if she wanted go stay awake all night that was fine but in her room. But she would jusy keep waking me up. How did you do it?

Quoting atlmom2:

Probably because you give in.  Mine always knew there room was their room and they had to sleep in it.  IF they didn't want to they could sleep anywhere they wanted but not in our room.  One time my dd was about 3 1/2 and she slept in the hallway for months.  I let her.  As long as it wasn't in my room I was fine with it. 

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2014 at 2:04 PM

At 8 years old I would lock your bedroom and go to bed.  Has this been going on since birth???  Or recent??

Quoting FyRhin0518: I told her to sleep anywhere too and i would go to bed in my room and she would keep moving me and moving me, i mean she would just NoT let me sleep. I would send her back and would tell her if she wanted go stay awake all night that was fine but in her room. But she would jusy keep waking me up. How did you do it?
Quoting atlmom2:

Probably because you give in.  Mine always knew there room was their room and they had to sleep in it.  IF they didn't want to they could sleep anywhere they wanted but not in our room.  One time my dd was about 3 1/2 and she slept in the hallway for months.  I let her.  As long as it wasn't in my room I was fine with it. 

FyRhin0518
by on May. 4, 2014 at 2:18 PM
Since jan. She was having issues at school with a couple of girls, these girls started talking to her about sex related topics which i had to go to the principal about and im thinking that that affected her, i feel so useless idk how to go with this. Teachers and principals do t do much since they cant control what every student talks to others about.

Quoting atlmom2:

At 8 years old I would lock your bedroom and go to bed.  Has this been going on since birth???  Or recent??

Quoting FyRhin0518: I told her to sleep anywhere too and i would go to bed in my room and she would keep moving me and moving me, i mean she would just NoT let me sleep. I would send her back and would tell her if she wanted go stay awake all night that was fine but in her room. But she would jusy keep waking me up. How did you do it?

Quoting atlmom2:

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2014 at 2:22 PM

Maybe some counseling since it happened after these girls talked to her. 

Quoting FyRhin0518: Since jan. She was having issues at school with a couple of girls, these girls started talking to her about sex related topics which i had to go to the principal about and im thinking that that affected her, i feel so useless idk how to go with this. Teachers and principals do t do much since they cant control what every student talks to others about.
Quoting atlmom2:

Quoting atlmom2:

FyRhin0518
by on May. 4, 2014 at 2:30 PM
Youre right. Im gonna do that. Thank you for listening and for your help and suggestions.

Quoting atlmom2:

Maybe some counseling since it happened after these girls talked to her. 

Quoting FyRhin0518: Since jan. She was having issues at school with a couple of girls, these girls started talking to her about sex related topics which i had to go to the principal about and im thinking that that affected her, i feel so useless idk how to go with this. Teachers and principals do t do much since they cant control what every student talks to others about.

Quoting atlmom2:

Quoting atlmom2:

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2014 at 2:46 PM

I agree that personal counseling may help her resolve whatever has her afraid.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)