Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Spanking decreases IQ

Posted by on May. 4, 2014 at 11:34 AM
  • 85 Replies
3 moms liked this

There was a post on here about disciplining a baby, and there were a large amount of replies advocating for spanking as a form of healthy, loving discipline. This honestly shocked me as I was not aware of the amounts of parents that still use violence as a source of teaching our children. I agree, spanking gets the job done. But, to you spankers out there, have you ever considered the longitudinal effects of this form of discipline?

New research has linked spanking to decreased IQ's in children. Take a read at a few articles I've posted. It isn't just IQ's that are negatively impacted, of course. But the correlation between intelligence and spanking is rather new. I was not aware of this.

As mothers, we are warranted with the task of helping our children grow and develop to reach their FULL potential. Knowing that your actions, although effective right now, can cause many issues later down the line, including decreasing your babies intelligence, would this be enough for you to seek out other forms of correcting their behavior?

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/12/131211103958.htm

http://www.aboutkidshealth.ca/en/news/newsandfeatures/pages/spankings-long-term-effect-on-intelligence.aspx

http://socialwork.columbia.edu/news-events/spanking-negatively-influences-children-s-cognitive-development-columbia-researchers-find

by on May. 4, 2014 at 11:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2014 at 11:38 AM
4 moms liked this

Another stupid article.

Dh and his siblings are brilliant smart and were spanked a not breastfed either. 

booaura
by on May. 4, 2014 at 11:39 AM
3 moms liked this
Thanks for sharing. Besides all the research proving how damaging it can be, the thought of a parent hitting their child and considering it ok is horrifying to me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ms_amanda
by Member on May. 4, 2014 at 11:43 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm not saying that if you spank your child, they will end up morons. I'm just saying it decreases their IQ's. And you call this another stupid article, based on a longitudinal study, yet you replied rather quick, which infers you didn't even bother reading it before you passed judgment.

Surely, you're going to do what you're going to do and no stranger on the internet, or Dr. who compiled the results of a 15 year study, will do anything to change your mind. You didn't even take the time to read the articles. To each their own, I guess.

Quoting atlmom2:

Another stupid article.

Dh and his siblings are brilliant smart and were spanked a not breastfed either. 

-PB
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2014 at 11:45 AM
1 mom liked this

I think a lot of people ignore research like this.  They say "I was spanked and I'm smart".  Unfortunately that is a bad argument because they are not saying that spanked children are not smart.  They are saying it decreases IQ.  That's not the same thing.  Also they are not talking about one case or one person.  This test has been repeated many times with large groups of people so one case of one person who is still smart after being spanked doesn't invalidate an entire research study so that argument is flawed.

ms_amanda
by Member on May. 4, 2014 at 11:53 AM
2 moms liked this

That's exactly it. It's much easier to consider this hog wash then reform methods they feel strongly about. And spanking is easy. It's a quick, effective fix to problematic behaviors in tots. So I can see why spankers continue to do so. But, in light of research like this, you'd think that, as a parent who wants only what's best for their children, you'd at least read the research and consider the many documented proven facts.

Quoting -PB:

I think a lot of people ignore research like this.  They say "I was spanked and I'm smart".  Unfortunately that is a bad argument because they are not saying that spanked children are not smart.  They are saying it decreases IQ.  That's not the same thing.  Also they are not talking about one case or one person.  This test has been repeated many times with large groups of people so one case of one person who is still smart after being spanked doesn't not invalidate an entire research study so that argument is flawed.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2014 at 11:56 AM

I guess they were supposed to be a genius then.  They all graduated 1 or 2 in their HS classes. 

Quoting ms_amanda:

I'm not saying that if you spank your child, they will end up morons. I'm just saying it decreases their IQ's. And you call this another stupid article, based on a longitudinal study, yet you replied rather quick, which infers you didn't even bother reading it before you passed judgment.

Surely, you're going to do what you're going to do and no stranger on the internet, or Dr. who compiled the results of a 15 year study, will do anything to change your mind. You didn't even take the time to read the articles. To each their own, I guess.

Quoting atlmom2:

Another stupid article.

lapcounter
by on May. 4, 2014 at 11:57 AM
2 moms liked this
FFS
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ms_amanda
by Member on May. 4, 2014 at 11:58 AM

If you read the second article posted, it suggests some ways that spanking can lead to decreased IQ's. The study was conducted with thousands of children, and the evidence was consistent regardless of where the study was conducted.  There was a 90% agreement amongst Dr's that spanking reduces IQ. Take a moment to read it. Regardless of how, the results are proven. I don't care how exactly the IQ's become lower, personally. I am much more concerned with the end result.

Quoting jamelame:

It's impossible to control for all other factors and they haven't suggested how spanking decreases IQ. Until then it remains one of those 'orange juice linked to cancer!' attention-grabbing headlines.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2014 at 12:02 PM
1 mom liked this

How can you tell just how high the IQ was supposed to be?  Just like how can you tell how much more smarter someone should be if they were breast fed vs not? 

-PB
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2014 at 12:03 PM
2 moms liked this

I think its also tough to admit sometimes when you are wrong or you are not the best parent that you can be.  We all make mistakes and it can be tough to step back and say "maybe that wasn't my best parenting moment".  I think that many people who spank justify it in some way to feel better about their parenting choices.  Most people want whats best for their kids but many don't know how to handle certain situations without getting frustrated so to them spanking is the only answer.

Quoting ms_amanda:

That's exactly it. It's much easier to consider this hog wash then reform methods they feel strongly about. And spanking is easy. It's a quick, effective fix to problematic behaviors in tots. So I can see why spankers continue to do so. But, in light of research like this, you'd think that, as a parent who wants only what's best for their children, you'd at least read the research and consider the many documented proven facts.

Quoting -PB:

I think a lot of people ignore research like this.  They say "I was spanked and I'm smart".  Unfortunately that is a bad argument because they are not saying that spanked children are not smart.  They are saying it decreases IQ.  That's not the same thing.  Also they are not talking about one case or one person.  This test has been repeated many times with large groups of people so one case of one person who is still smart after being spanked doesn't not invalidate an entire research study so that argument is flawed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)