Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Stealing a Baby Name

Posted by on May. 4, 2014 at 8:27 PM
  • 70 Replies

Poll

Question: Naming my child the same name as my 2 year old nephew's middle name is....

Options:

"Stealing" it and rude. If I were your SIL I'd be upset

Totally exceptable and no one should be offended

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 109

View Results

We are due in 4 months with a baby boy.  My husband and I really like this certain name, but it's my 2 year old nephew's middle name.  His first name is a "unisex" name, but it's mostly given to girls now.  There is a possibility that my nephew will want to use his middle name as his common name one day in his life.

So, if we used the same name should my SIL be angry?  If her son's middle name became our son's first name would that be "stealing" it?  Or is there no reason for her to be upset?  Would you be upset if your child's middle name now became a relative's first name?

Just some quick extra elements of this problem:
Most of the family live within an hour of us.  This family is within 5 miles of us.
My SIL tends to have some pretty crazy mental patterns.  The oddest things can set her off and sometimes she rolls well with the most frustrating things.
The name is common and ranks within the top 50 for the last couple of years.  It's in the Bible also.
Everyone calls my nephew by his first name.  No one calls my nephew by his middle name.

We think we will come to her before the baby is born and ask/tell her of our plans and see how she reponds.  Before we do I wanted to test run this with a poll and see if most people wouldn't care or if this is a major taboo that my husband and I are unaware of.  Thank you!!!!

by on May. 4, 2014 at 8:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ryanswifey42012
by Member on May. 4, 2014 at 8:31 PM
It's your baby and if the name is special to you then use it.
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2014 at 8:35 PM

Name them whatever.  My Niece is Marisa said Marieesa.   My dd is Maria

My nephew is Bryan Michael.  Another nephew is Evan Michael. 

anotherandree
by Inga on May. 4, 2014 at 8:44 PM
I guess my question is DID you steal it? I mean did you hear HIS name and think that you wanted it, or is it something that has always been on your radar? I think STEALING a name is rude but if you happen at always want that name, then whatever.
jmonroe65355
by Member on May. 4, 2014 at 8:45 PM
1 mom liked this
Who cares? Name your kid what you want to name him. You could always flatter her by saying you named your baby after your nephew.
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2014 at 8:47 PM
2 moms liked this

One is a middle name and one is a first name.  That is totally differerent. 

WildPowerMom
by Member on May. 4, 2014 at 8:48 PM

It wasn't a name I always dreamed of, but it's a name my husband and I can agree upon.  He's really stuck on it as a name, but I could go with another option (which he isn't as fond of).  It's a very common name so it's not like it's some unique special name that has any particular meaning to either family.

Quoting anotherandree: I guess my question is DID you steal it? I mean did you hear HIS name and think that you wanted it, or is it something that has always been on your radar? I think STEALING a name is rude but if you happen at always want that name, then whatever.

LaideBug
by on May. 4, 2014 at 9:31 PM
My opionion on this is the odd one out. There are literally millions of names in the world using one that has already been used in the family is unnessecary to me. But where it's a middle name they don't use I don't think it's as big of a deal, I still wouldn't do it but that's just my opinion.

Side Note: My half SIL did this to me with my oldest DDs first name. It's a name with very special meaning to us we don't use any nicknames for her, but it's just a name my half SIL liked. Also when I was pregnant with my 2nd DD we were strongly considering a name that my half sister decided to use and immediately I started looking for alternate names to use. That happened about a year before my half SIL did it to me.
LoveMyBoyK
by Member on May. 4, 2014 at 9:35 PM
1 mom liked this
There is no such thing as stealing a name, IMO. If you like a name and can agree on it with you SO, I say use it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheMommyTaxi
by on May. 4, 2014 at 9:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it's ACCEPTABLE to use the middle name as a first name.  Many people name their children after fathers/mothers, grandfathers/mothers as a tribute to them.  My daughters are named for grandmothers on both sides of the family.  No one "OWNS" a name, but middle names are even more "fair game".

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on May. 4, 2014 at 9:40 PM
Use the name.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)