Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help for head lice!

Posted by on May. 4, 2014 at 9:11 PM
  • 17 Replies
1 mom liked this
Hi! I am the mother of a 5 year old kindergartner. She has came home with head lice 3 times this year. The first time she got it from school, the second from a friend, and the 3rd from school. We just found it again. I'm not sure if it's back from the last time which was a couple weeks ago, or if it's a new infestation, but I need some advice as to how to get rid of it for good, and keep it from coming back if possible! We are all getting so frustrated!
by on May. 4, 2014 at 9:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
beadingmom17
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2014 at 9:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Are you treating it properly at home? Are you putting gel, hairspray, etc in her hair before school?

I spray my daughters' heads with tea tree oil before school. I also use shine spray or gel every day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Crazylife1994
by on May. 4, 2014 at 9:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with above also to make sure you have gotten everything. Put the treatment in her hair, wrap a plastic bag tightly around her head for about a half hour, and then after you rinse it, blow-dry and use a flat iron to make sure you kill all eggs. Use the nit comb to remove everything you can.

Super heat all of her things.

stargazerwolf
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2014 at 10:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Cetaphil treatment worked for us...she kept coming home from school too, my kindergartener. Put it in her hair, left it for 8 hours, washed it out. Combed with a lice comb. You can use lice sprays on furniture and carpets, wash bedding, and any clothes, hats or hair things she recently wore, including stuff in hampers. Spray pillows, stuffed animals, booster seat and car seats with a lice spray.

lucky3mommy
by on May. 5, 2014 at 2:26 AM
I know the bottle says only leave it in for a certain amount of time but when I went to the hospital at 7 years old both my mom and I had a lice infestation. We got it from some friends my mom had. Well we both have a ton of hair and she could treat my head and get all the bugs and eggs out but didn't have anyone to properly treat her hair. We. I was in the hospital they told my mom to get the over the counter lice shampoo and they would treat my hair and hers there and then my mom could go home and treat the house. The doctors left the lice shampoo in mine and my mom's hair for 12 hours...never had lice again.
momoftwosince20
by on May. 5, 2014 at 9:06 AM
2 moms liked this

I know this is going to sound completely strange but I come from a family that totally believes in home remedies for this.  My daughter had lice several times in the span of 4-5 years.  The only thing that I found to absolutely work was to put olive oil in her hair and massage it in then cover for 30 minutes to an hour.  We would then comb the lice out of her hair.  It kills everything including the eggs.  The only problem we had with her was washing it out because you have to use dawn dish soap. For some reason this is the only one that works.  Hope this helps.  Also make sure that you are drying on the highest heat all stuffed animals and bedding.  Even the ones she doesnt use on a regular basis.  Also coconut oil works!

earthora
by on May. 6, 2014 at 5:45 AM

We went through this exact frustration with my niece, so when I went through it with my own children I was prepared.

My first thought was I was hoping I'd caught you before you used an over the counter head lice product, and if not, I was hoping I could deter you from doing it again! Unless you choose a natural, essential oil product, they are powerful pesticides. Please steer clear of any of the common products that are prescribed and suggested at the pharmacy, as they can be very harmful.

What worked best for me was the good old Robi Comb, together with breaking the head lice life cycle. Both of my pre-schoolers came home with lice, I Robi Combed them once a week for three weeks, and neither of them have ever had them again.

I knew there was no point in pesticide bombing the house or compulsively washing everything from the research I'd done with my niece, so washing their bedding was all I did.

I wrote a series of articles about my research and experiences on my blog, you can find them here:

http://earthora.com/green-kids/chemical-free-head-lice-removal/

Please feel free to ask any questions. Hope this helps!

Emycf
by on May. 6, 2014 at 6:06 AM

This is what I was going to say. My mom was a teacher and one of the students had severely sensitive skin. Lice shampoo burned the crap out of her scalp so the next time she got it her family did olive oil and it worked perfectly. It actually makes the eggs easier to comb out, too. I've even used it on a puppy who came to us with severe lice. Worked like a charm.

Quoting momoftwosince20:

I know this is going to sound completely strange but I come from a family that totally believes in home remedies for this.  My daughter had lice several times in the span of 4-5 years.  The only thing that I found to absolutely work was to put olive oil in her hair and massage it in then cover for 30 minutes to an hour.  We would then comb the lice out of her hair.  It kills everything including the eggs.  The only problem we had with her was washing it out because you have to use dawn dish soap. For some reason this is the only one that works.  Hope this helps.  Also make sure that you are drying on the highest heat all stuffed animals and bedding.  Even the ones she doesnt use on a regular basis.  Also coconut oil works!

MethuenMom
by on May. 6, 2014 at 6:29 AM

You can't keep it from coming back until all of her friends and school get the situation under control.

My DD had it along with all of her friends and it went on for 3 months straight.  Get plenty of mayo for her hair because all of the chemicals will dry it out severely!

Good Luck!

AM-BRAT
by Amber on May. 6, 2014 at 9:38 AM
I used to get it a lot.

Mayo, olive oil, tea tree, otc- all that. Sometimes it's a rotation of those things.

Making the sure the house is done too is essential. And instilling good rules about hugging and such at school for now. Gl. :((
emkirkley
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2014 at 11:13 AM
Vacuum all the beds, couches, car seats etc every day, throw the pillows in the dryer in high, staff the sheets every day, bag up all sides animals our dolls with hair for two weeks and move them to an unused closet, storage room or attic, pour tea tree oil in her shampoo and leave/spray in conditioner after you've treated for lice to help deter from coming back. Ulesfia is an alcohol feel that works well, we tried all the "natural remedies" but they didn't work fit us,
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)