Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bullying **Update**

Posted by on May. 4, 2014 at 11:28 PM
  • 16 Replies

****Update****  We met with the principal and his teacher today.  It went really well and they are definitely upset that it happened and they are going to follow up with the other students and the sub.  We withdrew him and I will homeschool him for the next 4 weeks until the school year is over.  We felt it went good and that they really listened. 

I am so freaking angry right now that I can't stand it.  I posted awhile back about how my son was having issues with two boys at school.  He is in the 2nd grade and they were making fun of him for how he plays the games in PE, for how he eats at lunch, for just about everything he did.  We talked to the teacher about it and she encouraged him to tell when they did something to him so that her or another adult was aware.  For a bit things got better because he was either telling or working to avoid them completely.  Because he was avoiding them he was sitting and interacting more with the girls so then some of the girls started being mean to him.  We again emailed the teacher and we were waiting for a response from her on Friday.  She wasn't there Friday though so there was a sub.  The sub was teaching a lesson on Opinion vs. Fact.  She asked all the kids to raise their hands is they had an opinion about something.  The first kid she called on said in her opinion lettuce and tomato were gross.  The second kid she called on said in his opinion my son was extremely annoying.  The sub said nothing and called on the next child.  At that point every single one of the kids in the class but one boy, took the first kid's lead and for their opinion said something mean about my son.  He was annoying, he was gross, he wasn't good at things, whatever it was, each was mean about him.  The sub kept calling on them.  When she got to my son last he said in his opinion everybody in the class hated him.  They all started clapping and cheering and yelled out that he finally gets it.  Only then did the sub say that was enough and from now on as they talked about facts they couldn't say something mean about him.  DH and I are livid.  We found out after school when he got off the bus and by that time everybody was gone from the school as it was Friday.  We left a message on the principal's voice mail and sent a really long email detailing everything that has happened over the last few months.  We will be at the school tomorrow withdrawing him and insisiting they pass him on to the next grade since there are only 19 days of school left.  They can either straight up pass him(he has had straight A's all year so it isn't like he isn't ready for 3rd grade) or they can send work home each week that he will complete and we will send back, but he cannot return to that classroom.  I will let you all know how the meeting goes. 

by on May. 4, 2014 at 11:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-PB
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2014 at 11:59 PM

Thats horrible!  I don't understand why she would let them continue.  I would be beyond mad.  :-(

girlfriendcj70
by Member on May. 5, 2014 at 12:05 AM

That stinks. I got picked on as a kid. I hope the school takes further action 

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on May. 5, 2014 at 12:18 AM
I don't understand how any adult could sit there and let kids be mean to another without stopping it.
Quoting -PB:

Thats horrible!  I don't understand why she would let them continue.  I would be beyond mad.  :-(

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on May. 5, 2014 at 12:23 AM

I hope so too. For us the main thing is for them to allow us to withdraw him without consequences but I would hope that they would also fire the sub who needs to never teach again and to use this as an opportunity to teach the other kids that words can really do a lot more then they know. 

Quoting girlfriendcj70:

That stinks. I got picked on as a kid. I hope the school takes further action 

ceciliam
by Cecilia on May. 5, 2014 at 1:11 PM

That is so terrible and unfortunate. I hope things get better for your son. What will happen for next year?

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on May. 5, 2014 at 2:32 PM
That is horrible. I tell my son he has to stand up for himself and no one can make him feel inferior without his consent. My son has dealt with somethings over the year with kids. He has been taught though to just ignore it or stand up for himself.
Nimue930
by on May. 5, 2014 at 7:13 PM

That is almost unbelievable!! The whole thing could have been stopped with one simple sentence from the sub: "We dont talk about people that way" at the first kid's statement.  Would have ended the whole thing.  Talk about a poor sub!!  If she can't handle 2nd graders she shouldn't be teaching.  And, the regular teacher needs to do a lesson on mean words and the damage they cause.  I hope your meeting goes well...

Blue462
by Member on May. 5, 2014 at 7:19 PM
I am sorry this happened to your son. I would be angry too. I got picked on a lot as a kid and the teachers never do much about it. I am glad you are in there fighting for him.
countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on May. 5, 2014 at 11:03 PM

Thank you.  We moved to a new house at the end of February which is outside that school district.  We filled out paperwork to keep them going to that district because we didn't want to make the switch mid-year.  So, next year they can either go to the school in our new district or we may homeschool, we haven't decided yet.  We have always talked a lot about homeschooling and we now think this may be the time. 

Quoting ceciliam:

That is so terrible and unfortunate. I hope things get better for your son. What will happen for next year?

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on May. 5, 2014 at 11:06 PM
1 mom liked this
I hear you. We have told him that lots too, he is just so good natured it is hard for him. My other son would have probably punched somebody which isn't the solution either but he isn't afraid to stand up for himself at all.
Quoting Mom2Just1: That is horrible. I tell my son he has to stand up for himself and no one can make him feel inferior without his consent. My son has dealt with somethings over the year with kids. He has been taught though to just ignore it or stand up for himself.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)