Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Would you take your young child out late at night as a special treat?

Posted by on May. 6, 2014 at 10:16 PM
  • 199 Replies

So, my daughter is going to be 6 next month and LOVES The Last Unicorn.

I spent a few months doing her room up in a 'The Last Unicorn' theme and she loves the book (we read it together) and she loves the movie.  Anyways, DH found out that the author (Peter S. Beagle) is coming to our city for a meet the author kind of thing and a showing of the movie in the theatre.  Of course instantly I said - we're going! Then when I looked it up, it starts at 7pm on a Thursday evening.  

Is it terribly irresponsible for me to bring my almost 6 year out on a school night and not get home until about 10pm?  I would probably keep her home from school in the morning and bring her for the afternoon to let her sleep.  Btw, I'm in Canada and school days don't get made up here like I hear they do in the states.

I know that she would absolutely love it, thoughts?

by on May. 6, 2014 at 10:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jenn8604
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2014 at 10:18 PM
16 moms liked this
My kid would skip school the next day if needed for a possible once in a lifetime thing like that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy2boys03
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2014 at 10:19 PM
2 moms liked this

For a one time special thing like that I probably would.  She will remember that forever.

christina122952
by on May. 6, 2014 at 10:19 PM
I would say do it.
1taximomhere
by New Member on May. 6, 2014 at 10:20 PM
1 mom liked this
I would let mine go and possibly miss the whole day at school depending on how tired they were. It's only one day and probably once in a lifetime chance to meet the author.
JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2014 at 10:21 PM
I would but we homeschool so it's not a huge deal to start late the next day anyways
beethann
by Member on May. 6, 2014 at 10:21 PM

I totally would!

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2014 at 10:26 PM

Yes this is probably a once in lifetime type of event.   I would dread the crowds in my mind though.

DACIA79
by Member on May. 6, 2014 at 10:38 PM

I think she should definitely go

ABCMomma0211
by on May. 6, 2014 at 10:40 PM
1 mom liked this
Uhm no.

She would still get up and go to school the next day.

Its almost 11pm here, and my six year old is out and she is still getting up and going to school.

And school days are only made up if they are snow days, and they used all their snow days.
Bmat
by Barb on May. 6, 2014 at 10:49 PM
2 moms liked this

If I absolutely couldn't arrange the treat another way- such as letting her meet the author one day and see the movie another time, then I would let her go. But not miss any school because of it. I like to impress upon the children that school is important and not to be skipped.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)