Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

The Secret to Picking the Best Workout -- for YOU

Posted by on May. 8, 2014 at 9:34 AM
  • 9 Replies

The Secret to Picking the Best Workout -- for YOU

by Carly Pizzani

What's Your Fitness Personality? How to Find the Perfect Workout for YOUIn a perfect world, we’d all have lots of free time to work out. Not only would we be getting our sweat on every day, we’d all be loving every minute of it (or loving to hate it, anyway!). In reality, it can be near impossible to find the time to work out, and what makes it even harder is not knowing what to do when you DO have time for exercise. If you find yourself on your way to the gym, still trying to work out what you should be doing there, or forcing yourself to a class you’re not really into because it works with your schedule, you might need to assess your fitness personality

Maybe it’s not that you haven’t found the workout that suits you ... maybe your personality doesn’t suit your workout of choice. Here are some suggestions for you to try thinking about the way you exercise from a personality point of view:

What's Your Fitness Personality? How to Find the Perfect Workout for YOU

If you’re competitive, and love to win: Try a team sport. You may have read that running is a great sport for those with a competitive nature, and it can be, but it’s usually only competition with yourself. When it comes to team sports, you are working toward an end result of only one team winning, with a more cut-throat process of teams being eliminated from the competition as you go along. The bonus is that by working within a group, you can also work on what might not be a strength for a very competitive person -- relying on others for help and support.

If you are in desperate need of time to yourself: Try swimming. Swimming is possibly the most solitary workout you could try -- it’s not like you can chat with the person in the next lane as you do your laps. If you need time to think or just want time when you don’t have to listen to anyone, find a pool.

If you like numbers, statistics, and enjoy charting progress: Try running. Running is a numbers geek sport. Almost any aspect of running can be broken down into numbers to be charted and compared. Miles run, pace, elevation, heart rate, intervals -- all carefully recorded. Runners even work out when to buy new sneakers based on how many miles they’ve run in them. If you get joy from seeing your progress charted, running might be a great choice for you.

If you get bored easily, or like to be surprised by your workout: Try CrossFit. (Just please make sure you find a great affiliate with experienced trainers!). For those unfamiliar with CrossFit, every class has a WOD (Workout of the Day) programmed, which you can wait to find out about when you get there. It could be 20 minutes long. It could be an hour. It could be Olympic lifting or sprint intervals. And surprise! You might love it. 

If you like order and rules: Try martial arts. Unlike workouts where you’re in control of your intensity, and speed, most forms of martial arts train you to react in a specific, controlled way to outside forces. There are even a list of rules of engagement to be followed if you find yourself in need of your skills outside of your workout.  

Does your workout of choice fit with your personality? Would you be willing to try something new?

by on May. 8, 2014 at 9:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Bmat
by Barb on May. 8, 2014 at 10:28 AM

This is interesting.  I never considered it like this. I would be a blend of enjoying being around others and like to see progress. So I'm not sure where I would fit in. Also I live in a rural area so some opportunities are too far for me.

ceciliam
by Cecilia on May. 8, 2014 at 10:36 AM

I figured out pretty early on that doing something I didn't love wasn't going to be very motivating. For instance, I don't like running, so it is not something I am likely to do. I prefer circuit type work-outs so I don't get bored.

Robin-Christine
by Member on May. 8, 2014 at 2:07 PM

I love walking both outside and to Leslie Sansone videos.

AM-BRAT
by Amber on May. 8, 2014 at 5:09 PM

Mine is more the crossfit type if I HAD to sqeeze into a category.

I prefer not to leave the house to workout, I found out long ago that home videos were the BEST option for me and I've been successful since. 

If I'm around people I yap too much and don't get the work done. I also like weights because I'm essentially lazy. Running is my LEAST favorite. Wait, yoga is. Hate it.

I do love to ride my bike though. That's my "cardio" day.  :)

christina122952
by on May. 8, 2014 at 5:40 PM
I don't know mine
VinVanMom
by Member on May. 8, 2014 at 5:54 PM

I like to walk with the family and dogs or ride a stationary bike with a back on it. Love watching tv or reading while exercising. Time flies. I do enjoy stretching and sit ups so I incorporate those. 

Spoiled_Blonde
by Member on May. 8, 2014 at 7:58 PM
What about lifting weights? That's my workout of choice :)
christina122952
by on May. 9, 2014 at 12:01 PM
Cross fit
newwifenmom
by Member on May. 9, 2014 at 11:17 PM
Swimming
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN