Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Honestly how screen time do you kiddos really get?

Posted by on May. 12, 2014 at 3:55 PM
  • 23 Replies

I was reading a post about screen free week and all the promises of family togetherness it would bring in your home. It got me thinking, is it really that uncommon to unplug your kiddos? I honestly didn't really think it was that uncommon to tell the kids to go outside and play. So tell me, honestly...How much time do your kids spend in front of a screen? Our house rules go like this...

Weekdays- if they are done getting ready for school and still have time they can have 30 mins of cartoons. They almost always get that 30 mins. Week nights they get 30 to 60 mins of cartoons before bed depending on how long it takes them to get their bedtime stuff done(night time tv comes after baths and bedtime reading).

Saturday- 1 hour of cartoons in the morning and 30-60 at night just like weeknights.

Sundays- no morning cartoons because we go to church in the morning then we do family movie night at 6 every Sunday night then straight to bed after reading.

so my kids spend anywhere from 9 to 13 hours a week in front do the tv.

we don't allow any tablets during the week but they get 20 mins a day on the tablets on the weekends.

now I have to admit this is an average week for us there are some weeks where they ask for extra time and we allow it. But I feel like even the extra time we allow is still within reason.

by on May. 12, 2014 at 3:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
waytomanykids10
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2014 at 3:59 PM
1 mom liked this
My kids get as much as they want but rarely get on electronics. They choose to be outside.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shakesrear
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2014 at 4:59 PM

We don't do much tv. I would say 2-3 hours a week. My kids are 9, 7, and 4. And they aren't really into games, so only occasionally. The olders were into Hay Day for awhile, but that was just a few minutes a day for a couple of months, but they lost interest.

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on May. 12, 2014 at 7:26 PM

My son watches signing time everytime he is getting fed. 
My daughter watches about 30 minutes after she gets home from school, if she doesn't have home work.

We watch family movies on the weekends together.   

katiebug840204
by Katie on May. 12, 2014 at 7:28 PM
My kids can watch as much as they want to. I don't limit there tv time...that being said...they don't watch alot of tv.
booaura
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2014 at 8:40 PM
1 mom liked this
Usually, they don't watch much at all, and can go days, even weeks, without watching anything but a family movie that we all watch. I have horrible morning sickness right now though, and moving or doing anything is a struggle, so they've been watching a lot more than they should be the last few days.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Uzma_mom_of_2
by on May. 12, 2014 at 8:57 PM

Maybe 2 hours a day. Maybe more, depends on whats going on, is there room clean, things like that.

a_and_j_momma
by Gold Member on May. 12, 2014 at 10:14 PM
I don't limit it. They rarely watch it and don't watch it daily
ceciliam
by Cecilia on May. 13, 2014 at 8:29 AM

I never really had to limit tv because my son would rather be doing something active. He has never been one to just sit in front of the tv.

PeachQuean
by Member on May. 13, 2014 at 8:33 AM
As much as they want.....I have no limits.

We don't have time to be outside in the week on school nights, so it's tv or whatever else.

Weekends we are at games and shopping. But even.then they watch Netflix in the car or wherever we go.

AM-BRAT
by Amber on May. 13, 2014 at 9:58 AM

Idk it depends. We can go weeks so busy with activities and such that they literally may not watch anything.

Then we'll get to times where they'll watch a couple movies one day, a couple shows the next, etc.

Generally on school nights there's just no time and no need.

I'm not even gonna attempt to count lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)