Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Manners?

Posted by on May. 13, 2014 at 11:47 AM
  • 41 Replies
Good morning everyone. Hope you are all having a great morning. I am working on some kids books and I would like to know what comes to mind for you when you are asked "what manners do you use our expect your kids to use?" I would love your thoughts. Thanks
by on May. 13, 2014 at 11:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ceciliam
by Cecilia on May. 13, 2014 at 11:54 AM
3 moms liked this

The basic please and thank you. Another big one for me is asking for things in a polite manner with "May I?"

Not talking negatively about others is also a big one for me and just being nice in general,

Kindra16
by Member on May. 13, 2014 at 11:57 AM
Thanks. I really appreciate the input. I agree with the being nice in general. ;) one of my big ones is that I expect my girls to hold doors for people. I do this all the time and naturally my girls do too.

Quoting ceciliam:

The basic please and thank you. Another big one for me is asking for things in a polite manner with "May I?"

Not talking negatively about others is also a big one for me and just being nice in general,

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on May. 13, 2014 at 11:59 AM

Respect for adults, something I don't see much of lately. 

Open doors for people and don't let doors slam in people's faces. 

Please and thank you. 

Kindra16
by Member on May. 13, 2014 at 12:01 PM
I couldn't agree more on the respect for adults. :) Thank you for your this I greatly appreciate it.

Quoting atlmom2:

Respect for adults, something I don't see much of lately. 

Open doors for people and don't let doors slam in people's faces. 

Please and thank you. 

BeccaWooten
by Member on May. 13, 2014 at 12:13 PM
1 mom liked this
Mine say please and thank you for everything. My daughter has picked up "no sir" she is two and says "no sir" to women but I just politely correct it to mam. Like stated above I will expect them to hold doors for people. I was never allowed to disrespect anyone even if someone was being rude to me. I hope that my kids learn to walk away from rude situations but still defend themselves
Kindra16
by Member on May. 13, 2014 at 12:27 PM
I love it! :) I am in law enforcement and I'm a firefighter. Respect is a huge thing for me. Unfortunately now a days there are too many kids that don't use them. I'm working on a few books. But one of them I'm hoping to stay a series (of children's books) and the first in the series will be all about using manners. Thanks for your input. And keep up the good work. Sounds like you have a great little lady in your hands.

Quoting BeccaWooten: Mine say please and thank you for everything. My daughter has picked up "no sir" she is two and says "no sir" to women but I just politely correct it to mam. Like stated above I will expect them to hold doors for people. I was never allowed to disrespect anyone even if someone was being rude to me. I hope that my kids learn to walk away from rude situations but still defend themselves
Txlisa7969
by Member on May. 13, 2014 at 12:37 PM
1 mom liked this

All three of my kiddos are good about manners.  They say yes/no sir or ma'am, thank you, no thank you, excuse me, please, pardon me instead of "what" if they don't hear or understand something.  They hold doors for others, help if they see someone in need of it.  My DH has worked on helping our DS to be a gentleman.  It has apparently worked since he seems quite popular with the girls in his 1 st grade class.  He holds doors for them and since he is also the tallest in his class if they need something out of reach in class he is quick to get it for them.  He has come home with all these little gifts from different little ladies in his class. 

ZamilyMom
by Member on May. 13, 2014 at 12:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Don't forget "You're welcome!"

Kindra16
by Member on May. 13, 2014 at 12:43 PM
1 mom liked this
That's great. Thank you so much for sharing. Keep up the good work. Sounds to me like you have some pretty amazing kids. :)

Quoting Txlisa7969:

All three of my kiddos are good about manners.  They say yes/no sir or ma'am, thank you, no thank you, excuse me, please, pardon me instead of "what" if they don't hear or understand something.  They hold doors for others, help if they see someone in need of it.  My DH has worked on helping our DS to be a gentleman.  It has apparently worked since he seems quite popular with the girls in his 1 st grade class.  He holds doors for them and since he is also the tallest in his class if they need something out of reach in class he is quick to get it for them.  He has come home with all these little gifts from different little ladies in his class. 

Kindra16
by Member on May. 13, 2014 at 12:44 PM
A great one as well. Thank you.

Quoting ZamilyMom:

Don't forget "You're welcome!"

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)