Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Help! what size is next? Need to buy clothes for a kid I can not take out to try things on.

Posted by on May. 14, 2014 at 8:03 PM
  • 10 Replies

So my almost 11 year old daughter has been in a childrens behavioral/mental health hospital for almost 3 months now.  She told me last night her clothes were getting too tight.  I spoke with the nurse today and they confirmed shes gained 11 lbs in the last 2-3 months.

She had just started wearing 14 in girls jeans when we had to have her admitted.  What size is next?  Ive found conflicting sizing comments off of online.. some say she should perhaps be in a 5-7 juniors  but Ive seen some things that suggest it might be more like a 2-4 in juniors.. or even a 1-2 in womens..  The problem is, is that I cant take her out to shop and try the stuff on. shes not allowed to leave the facility .So I want to try and guess as well as possible when I take some clothes to her this weekend.  She was also wearing Large girl sized shirts or 14/16 depending on what the manufacturors went with.  Would it be small junior shirts or medium juniors?  or even small womens..   She is now 96 lbs if thats any help in deciding what size.. And shes somewhere in the neighbor hood of 4'10- 5ft..  shes grown taller too lately.. 

My older daughter is almost 13 but very tiny.. shes in a 8-10 girls clothing.. doesnt even weigh 70 lbs.. Her little sister is a good bit bigger  lol ( and boy did we hear about how unfair that is lol)  so Ive not had to transition to juniors or bigger before even though I have an older kiddo.   

Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.

by on May. 14, 2014 at 8:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on May. 14, 2014 at 8:17 PM
My dd is 23, 115 and 5 ft 2 and she wears juniors size 3 or 5.  I would say girls size 16 but what do I know.  How much does she weigh and how tall is she?

Youngest is 20,  4 ft 10 and 92 lbs.  She wears 00 jeans. 

saphiraka
by Member on May. 14, 2014 at 8:21 PM

Quoting atlmom2:
My dd is 23, 115 and 5 ft 2 and she wears juniors size 3 or 5.  I would say girls size 16 but what do I know.  How much does she weigh and how tall is she?

shes 96 lbs and somewhere in neighborhood of 4'10 - 5ft.. shes grown taller too but the nurse didnt have her height.. so Im going off of how big she was an adding a couple of inches

sheramom4
by Member on May. 14, 2014 at 8:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting saphiraka:

Quoting atlmom2:

shes 96 lbs and somewhere in neighborhood of 4'10 - 5ft.. shes grown taller too but the nurse didnt have her height.. so Im going off of how big she was an adding a couple of inches

I would say about a Juniors 3. Middle DD is 12 and 4'10 1/2 and about 72 pounds and in a 0-00. Oldest DD is 15, 5'1" and around 105 and in a 3. 

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on May. 14, 2014 at 8:23 PM

Quoting saphiraka:

Quoting atlmom2:

I would say in 3 months one inch taller would be the max someone would grow.  Mine took a year to grow on inch usually.

lilmama8408
by Silver Member on May. 14, 2014 at 8:25 PM
I'd suggest a juniors medium in shirts, even if a little big she will keep growing

Pants I'm not sure because when you factor hips butt legs ect they all fit different

Maybe bring a couple sizes and let her try them and then get more
snowangel1979
by Silver Member on May. 14, 2014 at 8:33 PM
Really it would also depend on her body type/how she cares weight, ect also.

I would probably buy a couple of each size. Have her try them on, then take back whatever doesn't fit and get a few more outfits in the correct size..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katiebug840204
by Katie on May. 14, 2014 at 8:42 PM
I'd buy girls 16 first. If it doesn't fit then return them and go to a juniors 0. Buy one pair at a time and check to see if it fits or not before buying more.
UmiFujii
by on May. 14, 2014 at 9:32 PM

See if you can get her measurements. That would be the best way to fit her. (Not just height and weight but bust, waist, hip, arm and shoulder to shoulder). My DD is 14, weighs 117 and is 5'4" but she is very athletic (MMA) so lots of leg muscles and very small waist.  Her shirt size is small if she wants fitted or medium if she wants looser shirts. Her pants are size 2-4. 

According to your DDs height and weight, on a BMI calculator, she is low normal like my girl. Maybe find a place that will allow her to try on clothes and if they don't fit you can return them if the tag is still on. I would try Juniors small unless she likes loose shirts. A medium might be a bit baggy for her.

100problems-1
by Member on May. 14, 2014 at 9:35 PM
0 or 2.

Quoting saphiraka:

Quoting atlmom2:

amantonacci
by Member on May. 14, 2014 at 9:35 PM
Where has she grown out of her clothes? Are they too tight or to short?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN