Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Restaurant Receipt Shows Secret Well-Behaved Kids Discount

Posted by on May. 14, 2014 at 10:49 PM
  • 56 Replies

I saw this article and thought I would share.  It is sad that they have to even offer a discount for well behaved kids as all kids should be taught to behave, but it is nice that they are doing it.  What do you think?

Restaurant Receipt Shows Secret Well-Behaved Kids Discount

Daughter charms staff, parents get $5 off the bill

Imgur
Children and restaurants often mix badly. Rambunctious kids tearing through the aisles can raise the blood pressure of patrons while elevating the noise level.

So, when out to a meal, you might appreciate a cute kid who ingratiates rather than enervates. Canadian restaurant Carino Japanese Bistro + Wine certainly does. The establishment has a "Well Behaved Kids" discount on its receipt system, as the blog Eater reported.

What makes the event even more impressive is that it happened in Calgary, Alberta on Mother's Day, which likely means a crowded and noisy restaurant that can set a baby on edge. Reddit user looseONtheGoose posted a picture of the receipt.

In addition to the two glasses of rose, an omelet, order of waffles, and strawberry tiramisu was a $5 discount.

"We wanted to show some appreciation for kids and parents if the kids dined with manners," said restaurant owner Toshi Karino to Yahoo Canada Shine. But it's not something that Karino tells customers about in advance: "This is just our secret appreciation." According to Karino, the restaurant has "often" given the well-behaved discount. There must be a lot of composed children in Calgary.

From the prices, Carino Japanese Bistro doesn't seem to be the average family restaurant. In fact, Air Canada's inflight magazine featured it as one of the ten best new restaurants in Canada last year. Apparently the buzz was a surprise to Karino, who wanted the family -- parents Alicia and Daley and daughter Evie Welsh -- to get in touch for a thank you.

Karino is not the only one who gives out discounts for calm kids. Sogno Di Vino, an Italian restaurant, received some attention last year for offering a $4 discount for well-behaved children, according to Eater. In this case, not only did the family, which made some efforts to teach the kids restaurant etiquette, get some money off the bill, but also a bowl of ice cream to share. The owner told the New York Daily News, "You would never even know that children were in the dining room."

If that is the carrot, there are restaurants that have decided to use the stick instead. Last year a St. Louis restaurant added a profane comment about "needy kids" to a receipt, according to Eater. It was Father's Day and a waitress had apparently typed in the note as a joke to the kitchen, not planning to have it print out.

Last year a Houston Mexican restaurant banned kids under 8 years old after 7pm, according to Time. The owner said that she received complaints from couples who had arranged for babysitters for their own kids only to find someone else's children running around. And, as Huffington Post reported in 2011, McDain's Restaurant of Monroeville, Pa. completely banned children under 6.

by on May. 14, 2014 at 10:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Linda_Runs
by Member on May. 17, 2014 at 8:08 AM
1 mom liked this

At McDonald's where they have a playplace, I am sure we would qualify for a discount, but at some other slower-paced restaurants, I am equally sure that we would qualify for a surcharge!  There are a few funny stories.

lapcounter
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2014 at 8:10 AM
I think it's awesome, the little ass holes in Braums last night sure wouldn't have gotten it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PPCLC
by Member on May. 17, 2014 at 10:03 AM

I would like to know where my back-pay (good child behavior incentive money) is from all of the years that my own children behaved themselves while in public. ;)

Cassie2115
by Member on May. 17, 2014 at 10:10 AM
We have a 5 and 3 year old and a 5 month old. We have also taken our 4 year old nephew along when we've gone out. We get complimented almost every time on how well behaved our kids are. We go to restaurants that have coloring pages that keep the kids entertained (along with us playing/coloring with them). The only problem we run into is our 3 year old sometimes gets excited and gets a little loud, but with a little reminder she quiets down :)
My cousin and his wife had their meal paid for by another customer because their kids were well behaved.
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on May. 17, 2014 at 10:16 AM

I love it.  Mine would have gotten it all the time.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on May. 17, 2014 at 10:17 AM

Too bad you can't charge more for brats!!!!

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on May. 17, 2014 at 4:56 PM

Playplaces can be both good and bad.  My kids hate when we go to a McDonalds and don't have time to play too, lol. 

Quoting Linda_Runs:

At McDonald's where they have a playplace, I am sure we would qualify for a discount, but at some other slower-paced restaurants, I am equally sure that we would qualify for a surcharge!  There are a few funny stories.

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on May. 17, 2014 at 5:04 PM

It is always frustrating to me because it is the parents lack of discipline and teaching that makes the kids think it is okay to behave that way yet it is the kids who will suffer as they get older because they will never have been taught. 

Quoting lapcounter: I think it's awesome, the little ass holes in Braums last night sure wouldn't have gotten it.

TrouserMouse
by on May. 17, 2014 at 5:05 PM

You know what is funny, I can't recall ever seeing kids misbehave in a restaurant. Nothing more than maybe just staring at the table next to them and playing some peekaboo or something.

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on May. 17, 2014 at 5:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't have any money but maybe this will help.

way to go

Quoting PPCLC:

I would like to know where my back-pay (good child behavior incentive money) is from all of the years that my own children behaved themselves while in public. ;)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)