Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Is this considered "spoiling" a child?

Posted by on May. 18, 2014 at 11:01 AM
  • 25 Replies
Now that we have a car I want to bring my LO's to the museum, the pioneer village and a cute little place that has rides for young children, a little petting zoo, a splash pad etc. very often during the Summer.

My LO's are just 20 months and 6 months but I want them to have fun. I just don't know if this would be over doing it.

I was planning in having my oldest DD's birthday at the petting zoo place but I feel like if we go to often she won't be as excited.

What do you think?
by on May. 18, 2014 at 11:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AM-BRAT
by Amber on May. 18, 2014 at 11:03 AM

They're QUITE young to care too much lol but you should have a blast and you should enjoy your summer.  :)

The petting zoo, nah she shouldn't get worn out on it. I bet she'd like to have a party at a place she loves.

lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on May. 18, 2014 at 11:07 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it sounds like a fun time.  Do what you want with your babies. Enjoy the time they will be grown before you can blink your eye.

Bella-Kiwi
by Member on May. 18, 2014 at 11:08 AM
OK good! :)

Thank you!!

Quoting AM-BRAT:

They're QUITE young to care too much lol but you should have a blast and you should enjoy your summer.  :)

The petting zoo, nah she shouldn't get worn out on it. I bet she'd like to have a party at a place she loves.

Bella-Kiwi
So true. Thank you!!

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

I think it sounds like a fun time.  Do what you want with your babies. Enjoy the time they will be grown before you can blink your eye.

DACIA79
1 mom liked this
Sounds Like a awesome Summer

I hope you take lots of pictures.

Because they are just babies they might not get excited but I think it's a great time to see what they like.

If they hate the petting zoo at least you will know ahead of time.
Bella-Kiwi
by Member on May. 18, 2014 at 11:23 AM
Great points! Thanks :)

Quoting DACIA79: Sounds Like a awesome Summer

I hope you take lots of pictures.

Because they are just babies they might not get excited but I think it's a great time to see what they like.

If they hate the petting zoo at least you will know ahead of time.
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on May. 18, 2014 at 11:25 AM
1 mom liked this

It isn't about spoiling them.  20 months is a little young for anything like that.  If you can afford it, do it.  B'days at that age are more for the parents or others that appreciate it.  There is no way for a 1 or 2 year old to appreciate anything like that.  Give them a cardboard box  or some tissue paper and they love it. 

Bieg9093
by Bronze Member on May. 18, 2014 at 12:20 PM

The trick is to remember that wherever you take them and whatever y'all do, consistent rules, limits, and expectations is the key.  Like, if you limit junk food at home then you also limit junk food at the park or zoo.  If your kids aren't permitted to hit each other, you can't let hitting slide at a museum just because you don't want to "ruin the fun."

If you maintain consistency, your kids can be happy wherever they are.

Bleacheddecay
by Silver Member on May. 18, 2014 at 12:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I think they are way too young for all that. Read to them, sing with them, garden with them, go for walks, go to the playground and maybe to the library programs.

I don't think it's spoiling them to do the things you want to do but it's just wasteful because they are too young to remember or appreciate any of that. Wait until they are older. When you take a kid to something or expose them to something and they are not developmentally ready for it yet, it is a waste for all of you and it can lead to them disliking the thing even when they are ready later.

Bella-Kiwi
by Member on May. 18, 2014 at 12:40 PM
That's so true. My DD does get amused very easily! I just feel guilty sometimes because we didn't get out very often because it was hard to do with our youngest coming along too.

Quoting atlmom2:

It isn't about spoiling them.  20 months is a little young for anything like that.  If you can afford it, do it.  B'days at that age are more for the parents or others that appreciate it.  There is no way for a 1 or 2 year old to appreciate anything like that.  Give them a cardboard box  or some tissue paper and they love it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)