Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Is this term offensive or racist?

Posted by on May. 23, 2014 at 11:14 PM
  • 158 Replies
So, someone called someone else "bro" in a Spiderman cartoon my DS was watching. Since then he has taken to calling me and other people " bro" including his grandpa. I say bro, dude and man sometimes too. I mean it as friend.
However I think his grandpa was offended by it and DH thinks it is a racial slur. I don't see it that way at all.
What do you think? I have asked DS to not call his grandpa this but should I discourage him from saying it at all?
by on May. 23, 2014 at 11:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ColoradoMom86
by Member on May. 23, 2014 at 11:19 PM
10 moms liked this

I don't think it has any racial connotations.  

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on May. 23, 2014 at 11:19 PM
20 moms liked this

It is neither racist or offensive.  I wouldn't call a grandpa that, at least not to his face, lol.  It has nothing to do with race. 

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on May. 23, 2014 at 11:19 PM
46 moms liked this

I do not see it as a racist slur but very disrespectful to call elders "bro" .  That is more a friend/pal/peer term.   Time to teach him appropriate times to use the term.  Tell him that grandpa is "grandpa " , "sir" or whatever name you have for grandparents.

Bella-Kiwi
by Member on May. 23, 2014 at 11:21 PM
2 moms liked this
No. My children are biracial and I would not be offended if I heard someone say "bro". Even though I have girls..lol.
MrsHMS
by New Member on May. 23, 2014 at 11:21 PM
2 moms liked this
It's to familiar it is disrespectful to a grandparent.
Crazylife1994
by on May. 23, 2014 at 11:26 PM
1 mom liked this

No I don't think it is racial at all.

BrutalTruth
by on May. 23, 2014 at 11:27 PM
8 moms liked this
How the fuck is bro racist, bro?
Blue462
by Member on May. 23, 2014 at 11:31 PM
I agree. He is only 3 but I did try to explain it to him and I think he gets it. It's more about showing respect for your elders.

Quoting frndlyfn:

I do not see it as a racist slur but very disrespectful to call elders "bro" .  That is more a friend/pal/peer term.   Time to teach him appropriate times to use the term.  Tell him that grandpa is "grandpa " , "sir" or whatever name you have for grandparents.

Blue462
by Member on May. 23, 2014 at 11:34 PM
I totally agree.

Quoting MrsHMS: It's to familiar is disrespectful to a grandparent.
Blue462
by Member on May. 23, 2014 at 11:38 PM
That's good to know. I think DH was thinking bro referred to an African- American male but nowadays kids of all different races call their friends that.

Quoting Bella-Kiwi: No. My children are biracial and I would not be offended if I heard someone say "bro". Even though I have girls..lol.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN