Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Self feeding

Posted by on Jun. 8, 2014 at 4:37 PM
  • 27 Replies

I'm trying to get my daughter to drink from a bottle herself, o r at least understand the concept of holding the bottle. I've been breastfeeding for 8 months and I finally got her to take bottles of expressed milk from me. I wanted to try and give her some juice and I've tried every kind of juice and she won't take it. 

Also, now that she's about to get her first tooth I want her to get the idea of picking up food and putting it in her mouth. Any suggestions for any of this?

by on Jun. 8, 2014 at 4:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jun. 8, 2014 at 4:54 PM

Start spoon feeding her first till she gets used to having pureed solids, then you move to finger foods.  Since she is 8 months you can move faster but each food should be given alone for 3 days to see if there is any allergy. 

KristinD1988
by Member on Jun. 8, 2014 at 4:55 PM

I've been spoon feeding her solids for almost 3 months now, we started when she was 6 months old.

Quoting atlmom2:

Start spoon feeding her first till she gets used to having pureed solids, then you move to finger foods.  Since she is 8 months you can move faster but each food should be given alone for 3 days to see if there is any allergy. 

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jun. 8, 2014 at 5:15 PM

Then I would start feeding her things you eat.  Little cut up chicken or meat, green beans and carrots etc.  She should love the people food so much more than baby food because it actually has a taste.  Cheerios too for a snack. 

Quoting KristinD1988:

I've been spoon feeding her solids for almost 3 months now, we started when she was 6 months old.

Quoting atlmom2:

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jun. 8, 2014 at 5:16 PM

Spaghetti and mashed potatoes are great too.

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Jun. 8, 2014 at 7:48 PM
Put it on her tray and let her have at it. I've never fed puréed food to my kids. No need for bottle just nurse and offer water in a sippy.
KristinD1988
by Member on Jun. 8, 2014 at 8:06 PM

I mean I give her 'baby food' (pureed food although now I make it a little chunkier since she does the chewing motion with her mouth even though no teeth yet) but I make all of her baby food, none of that gerber crap so I know her food has taste because I try everything I make for her. I guess I'm just scared because she doesn't have teeth yet so I'm thinking how can she possibly chew anything.

Quoting atlmom2:

Then I would start feeding her things you eat.  Little cut up chicken or meat, green beans and carrots etc.  She should love the people food so much more than baby food because it actually has a taste.  Cheerios too for a snack. 

Quoting KristinD1988:

Quoting atlmom2:

KristinD1988
by Member on Jun. 8, 2014 at 8:08 PM

I tried giving her water and juice in a bootle and a sippy cup but she makes a face afer a few sips and starts making spitting noises with her mouth and refuses it. I try every day and I've tried almost every kind of juice there is! Not to mention different sippy cups and bottles to try and find one she likes.

Quoting Mom2Just1: Put it on her tray and let her have at it. I've never fed puréed food to my kids. No need for bottle just nurse and offer water in a sippy.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jun. 8, 2014 at 8:08 PM

You don't need teeth for soft green bean, carrots, chicken etc.  She will be fine.  Heck my best friends son didn't even get teeth till a year and he was on total table food around 9 months

Quoting KristinD1988:

I mean I give her 'baby food' (pureed food although now I make it a little chunkier since she does the chewing motion with her mouth even though no teeth yet) but I make all of her baby food, none of that gerber crap so I know her food has taste because I try everything I make for her. I guess I'm just scared because she doesn't have teeth yet so I'm thinking how can she possibly chew anything.

Quoting atlmom2:

Quoting KristinD1988:

Quoting atlmom2:

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Jun. 8, 2014 at 8:10 PM
Juice is sugar. Just keep trying. All my kids nurse well past a year, don't take bottles, and eventually around a year love their straw sippy cup.

Quoting KristinD1988:

I tried giving her water and juice in a bootle and a sippy cup but she makes a face afer a few sips and starts making spitting noises with her mouth and refuses it. I try every day and I've tried almost every kind of juice there is! Not to mention different sippy cups and bottles to try and find one she likes.

Quoting Mom2Just1: Put it on her tray and let her have at it. I've never fed puréed food to my kids. No need for bottle just nurse and offer water in a sippy.

KristinD1988
by Member on Jun. 8, 2014 at 8:12 PM

I'm going to slowly try it. I did put some of her mashed potatoes on her try once but she didn't know to put it to her mouth. I gave her one of those baby crackers after I wrote this post and after a little while she figured out to start eating it. I'm so paranoid- my biggest fear is her choking.

Quoting atlmom2:

You don't need teeth for soft green bean, carrots, chicken etc.  She will be fine.  Heck my best friends son didn't even get teeth till a year and he was on total table food around 9 months

Quoting KristinD1988:

Quoting atlmom2:

Quoting KristinD1988:

Quoting atlmom2:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)