Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Does she really NEED milk?

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2014 at 5:29 PM
  • 40 Replies

My daughter's 2 and she eats really well - not picky about her foods, eats meats, veggies, fruits, etc., - but she doesn't like milk. I don't think that's a problem since she gets plenty of calcium and other vitamins from the foods she does like, but my mom insists she NEEDS milk. She even told me to add strawberry or chocolate milk mix to it to get her to drink it. Does she really NEED milk?

by on Jun. 9, 2014 at 5:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lilmama8408
by Silver Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 5:31 PM
My kids go in phases of liking milk. They only drink silk soy milk but they also get calcium from yogurt cheese ect. I don't see the problem with your dd not wanting it
waytomanykids10
by Bronze Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 5:35 PM
Milk is not a necessity.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nana776
by Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 5:35 PM

I don't remember what age it is, but they recommend kids drink whole milk (Vitamin D) up to a certain age because they need the fat for brain development. 

silverthreads
by on Jun. 9, 2014 at 5:41 PM

Hope the link below works.  It basically says that kids need the nutrients in milk for many years.  There are other foods that can offer some of the nutrients, but not all.  It suggests flavored milk is not a bad thing.  I would regulate how much flavoring is used, though, because of the sugars.  I am not advocating for flavorings as I never allowed them for my kids.  I'm just talking about this article.  Look online for other links about this and ask your pediatrician for his/her advice too.  But this is your call and your family should not be so involved.  Tell them you are taking care of it.  GL

http://www.parenting.com/article/got-milk

WILDCATGAL78
by Bronze Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 5:54 PM
1 mom liked this

We're going through the same with my 16 month old. I just make sure she eats more cheese, yogurt, ice cream or other dairy rich products. My daughter would only drink it warm and out of the bottle. Since we weaned off bottles she won't drink milk either. My pedi said as long as she is getting 12-16 oz of calcium and DHA(?) for brain development she is good. It doesn't necessarily have to be from WCM.

MamiJaAyla
by Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 9:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Pretty much.  We do NOT NEED milk.  

Quoting WILDCATGAL78:

We're going through the same with my 16 month old. I just make sure she eats more cheese, yogurt, ice cream or other dairy rich products. My daughter would only drink it warm and out of the bottle. Since we weaned off bottles she won't drink milk either. My pedi said as long as she is getting 12-16 oz of calcium and DHA(?) for brain development she is good. It doesn't necessarily have to be from WCM.

thatgirl70
by Carin on Jun. 10, 2014 at 9:25 AM

Since she's getting plenty of calcium elsewhere, I say no.

I've never liked milk myself and I rarely drink it, only put a little bit on my cereal. My DH is big on the "you need milk" bandwagon, but he likes to drink it, as does our boy, so I let them (but at least he doesn't make me do it).

mewebb82
by Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 9:28 AM
My youngest can't drink cows milk. He drinks almond milk instead and prefers vanilla. He gets plenty of calcium from that and I really only need to watch his fat intake. Babies and toddlers need fats in their diets for healthy brain development.
Daisy1120
by on Jun. 10, 2014 at 9:29 AM

If she is getting enough calcium then no, she doesn't. Does she eat cheese or yogurt? If so, then she should be OK.

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Jun. 10, 2014 at 9:29 AM
We don't drink cows milk. We get calcium in other ways.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)