Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

31 too old for a second baby?

Posted by on Jun. 10, 2014 at 8:52 AM
  • 204 Replies
1 mom liked this
My husband wants to wait until he's been settled into his new job for about a year before we start trying for baby number two, but that will make me 31/32 if we get pregnant right away. I feel like we should be trying right away because I get scared pregnancy, labour, even grandkids way down the road will all be so late in life we won't enjoy it the same way. What does everyone think? 31/32 getting up their for a second child or am I still young enough that I'm worrying for nothing? Thanks
by on Jun. 10, 2014 at 8:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom2the.rescue
by Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 8:53 AM
5 moms liked this

I think 32 is a perfect age to have a 2nd baby.  Many moms today aren't even having their first 'til their late 30's/early 40's. 

wills_mum
by Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 8:57 AM
Thanks so much! I know it makes sense to wait for my husband to get settled into his new job and get our bills in order first before trying for baby number two, but I get worried about the age thing. Your reply helped calm some of my nerves :)
strictmomhere
by Platinum Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 9:13 AM
1 mom liked this
I would not after 40
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tannaris
by Bronze Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 9:15 AM
1 mom liked this
Had my first at 29. Second at 32 and my last at 35. Done now though :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamiJaAyla
by Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 9:19 AM
2 moms liked this

NOt at ALL.  Its not even in the high risk time and many women are waiting till their 30's anyway.

I had my first at 29 and 2nd at 30.  Know ALOT of women who have had first/second etc. in their 30's

LDavis33
by Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 9:20 AM
1 mom liked this

I had my first at 31.  My second at 33.  We have been discussing having one more and I am 35.  I don't see a problem with it.  

Your best course of action is to talk to your ob-gyn and see what they have to say.  They will be able to provide you with the facts that you need in order to make an informed decision.

Good luck!

Oh, and far as Grandkids go, I figure that my youngest will be having kids when I'm in my fifties or sixties (if she chooses).  I'd say that is plenty young to still enjoy them.

TrouserMouse
by on Jun. 10, 2014 at 9:21 AM
2 moms liked this
I had my 5th son at 37. It was my easiest pregnancy yet... by far! I have been able to enjoy him even more than my other boys because there is a lot less stress and worries my life and I take nothing for granted.

I am now 39 and pregnant with #6. This will be our last.
Daisy1120
by on Jun. 10, 2014 at 9:28 AM

My mom was 36 when she had my sister and that was 28 years ago so no, I don't think 31/32 is too old to have a baby.

booaura
by Bronze Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 9:29 AM
2 moms liked this
My mom was 49, my dad 53 when I was born. My husband is 35, I'm currently pregnant.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Owensmom1288
by New Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 9:29 AM

That is not to old at all. I was 32 when I had my first and just turned 34 and my second is due August 22nd.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)