Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

single mom needs break?

Posted by on Jun. 11, 2014 at 5:11 AM
  • 9 Replies
Hello, I am a 23 yr old mom wih 2 children, a boy at 21 months and a girl
who is 4. I am single living with my parents, I do not have a license and work at a job where i sometimes get 40 hours a week. On top of that I try to clean and cook for a household of 6 people. I would love to go awayto a convention for 3 days, but my mother would probably tell me no, and then would make me feel bad about leaving my kids, but honestly I need a break. Any advice for me would be greatly appreciated, also my kids are not in daycare because I cannot afford it.
by on Jun. 11, 2014 at 5:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
booaura
by Bronze Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 5:14 AM
1 mom liked this
Everyone needs a break, but at the same time, you do have to care for your kids. If you can't afford to pay for a baby sitter, then you're stuck. Talk to your mom, see what she says.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Karmahappens
by Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 5:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to Adulthood.  You either need to find someone you can swap a weekend of babysitting with, or see if you cna get your Mom to watch the kids.

Having kids means you no longer have the autonomy to do things like go away to conventions.  It is the reality of life.

You need to build your own support system, or be prepared to do it alone.

WifeAndMom99
by Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 8:22 AM

Sorry mama. I know it has to be hard for you. Is the kids dad in their life? Could he help out? What about his family?

LancesMom
by Gold Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 10:30 AM
1 mom liked this

All you can do is ask.

3 days is a long time to leave you kids. Maybe forget about the convention (unless it is required by work)  and just do a getaway for the day to take a break! I am sure she will understand that more.

Enjoy a Coffee Break Chat
with us Every Tuesday!

amonkeymom
by Silver Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 12:49 PM

Ask, they might surprise you.  If you can't do all three days at the convention, maybe you can do one at least.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 12:53 PM

I understand your predicament.  I would be trying to save to move out on my own as fast as I could and getting a license. 

christina122952
by on Jun. 11, 2014 at 1:15 PM
You don't know until you ask your mom.
SweetBabySmell
by Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 1:16 PM

It's probably all in how you approach it to your mom. Especially if the convention is required for work.  Maybe you can compromise and take a weekend, or even just one day? Being a single mom and doing all that you do is hard work. Can you trade babysitting with a friend? I agree with the other poster, you need to build your own support system, include family in that group but it should include more than family. Also, work on getting your license and being able to move out on your own. You and your kids need their own home. Good Luck

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Jun. 11, 2014 at 10:24 PM
Good luck! Motherhood comes with sacrifices.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)