In this post I'm sort of looking for advice but also want to give a little to those who may need it, about cleaning with bleach products.
I'll never claim to be a rocket scientist but in my mid-twenties I was pretty f'n dumb. Attempting to clean my apartment bathroom, I soaked the tub in a bleach & water solution. Then, the tile surrounding the tub, I sprayed with some kind of bathroom cleaner that was ammonia-based. I left the room with the tub soaking, and soon noticed a strong smell. My roommate at the time figured what I was doing and knew the ammonia-based bathroom cleaner must undoubtedly have dripped into the bleach/water solution below, resulting in chlorine gas. So I had to drain the tub, put on the fan, and vacate the apartment a few hours.
So if you didn't already know, mixing bleach or bleach-based products with ammonia or ammonia-based products results in a dangerous and potentially fatal chlorine gas.
I never forgot that so have always been careful. My bathroom now gets moldy because it's an older house with no fan in the bathroom. So we clean the ceiling by spraying a bleach/water solution on it, the only thing that kills the mold specks. So I've been very vocal to my dh not to use anything in that bathroom but bleach-based cleaners.
Except on Mother's Day this year, my 13 yr old dd was trying to help clean up. Unbeknownst to me, she'd taken a paper towel and doused it with what she later said must've been about a tablespoon or more of straight ammonia to clean the top of the medicine cabinet, and windex for the mirror. (Windex is ammonia based).
I walked by the bathroom not knowing she'd done this and recognized a strange smell I hadn't experienced in 20 yrs. Then I found out what she'd done, and promptly opened the window and shut the door, not knowing yet how much ammonia she'd used. I started smelling it in the kitchen and got really nervous so I asked her more about it, and figured the amount used would surely send a gas all over the house. So I got everyone outside, put on an overhead fan by the front door. My dh put a window fan in the bathroom faced to draw the air out, we opened all windows in the whole house, and left for four hours til it all cleared.
So my advice is, never mix the two types of cleaning products. Don't directly mix them, that could be fatal. Don't even use them in the same room.
Also, I didn't know this, but Clorox WIpes are ammonia based! Clorox is a brand of bleach, but the wipes the company makes shouldn't be used in the same room with bleach-anything!
Now, my dd didn't directly mix these. What we did was two weeks before,spray the ceiling with bleach and it most likely misted down onto the light above the medicine cabinet and dried there. Then, she used ammonia which probably reconstituted whatever previous bleach solution had dried.
My problem now that I need a solution for, is what to clean this bathroom with!
After we aired the bathroom out that day, my dh went in with rags and water and wiped everything down to neutralize it. So far, I've been scrubbing the sink with plain old baking soda. I'm afraid to use anything else anywhere! I've got some moldy specks on the ceiling again. The floor, I used baking soda and water. I have to, because I have 3 and 4 yr old boys who miss the toilet sometimes, and get pee on the floor. The baking soda helps eliminate some odor but isn't that great, and leaves a gritty residue. So I have to go over it again and again with water.
I used to use foaming bubbles to clean the soap scum in the tub, but again, I'm afraid to do anything even though my dd didn't get that area with the ammonia.
So now I'm in a quandry with what to clean this bathroom with, lest there still be residue and I awake the sleeping giant of chlorine gas again.
I found a cleaner made by Comet that's only active ingredient was citric acid. So I bought it because it had no ammonia or bleach. BUT before use I googled it, and it turns out that with bleach, you shouldn't mix any kind of acid or you'll get the same affect.
So how the heck, or what the heck should I use, to clean my bathroom and get rid of the mold on the ceiling?????
Thanks, and hope you found this helpful.