Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Be Careful with Bleach...

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2014 at 7:33 AM
  • 25 Replies
1 mom liked this

In this post I'm sort of looking for advice but also want to give a little to those who may need it, about cleaning with bleach products.

I'll never claim to be a rocket scientist but in my mid-twenties I was pretty f'n dumb. Attempting to clean my apartment bathroom, I soaked the tub in a bleach & water solution. Then, the tile surrounding the tub, I sprayed with some kind of bathroom cleaner that was ammonia-based. I left the room with the tub soaking, and soon noticed a strong smell. My roommate at the time figured what I was doing and knew the ammonia-based bathroom cleaner must undoubtedly have dripped into the bleach/water solution below, resulting in chlorine gas. So I had to drain the tub, put on the fan, and vacate the apartment a few hours.

So if you didn't already know, mixing bleach or bleach-based products with ammonia or ammonia-based products results in a dangerous and potentially fatal chlorine gas.

I never forgot that so have always been careful. My bathroom now gets moldy because it's an older house with no fan in the bathroom. So we clean the ceiling by spraying a bleach/water solution on it, the only thing that kills the mold specks. So I've been very vocal to my dh not to use anything in that bathroom but bleach-based cleaners.

Except on Mother's Day this year, my 13 yr old dd was trying to help clean up. Unbeknownst to me, she'd taken a paper towel and doused it with what she later said must've been about a tablespoon or more of straight ammonia to clean the top of the medicine cabinet, and windex for the mirror. (Windex is ammonia based).

I walked by the bathroom not knowing she'd done this and recognized a strange smell I hadn't experienced in 20 yrs. Then I found out what she'd done, and promptly opened the window and shut the door, not knowing yet how much ammonia she'd used. I started smelling it in the kitchen and got really nervous so I asked her more about it, and figured the amount used would surely send a gas all over the house. So I got everyone outside, put on an overhead fan by the front door. My dh put a window fan in the bathroom faced to draw the air out, we opened all windows in the whole house, and left for four hours til it all cleared.

So my advice is, never mix the two types of cleaning products. Don't directly mix them, that could be fatal. Don't even use them in the same room.

Also, I didn't know this, but Clorox WIpes are ammonia based! Clorox is a brand of bleach, but the wipes the company makes shouldn't be used in the same room with bleach-anything!

Now, my dd didn't directly mix these. What we did was two weeks before,spray the ceiling with bleach and it most likely misted down onto the light above the medicine cabinet and dried there. Then, she used ammonia which probably reconstituted whatever previous bleach solution had dried.

My problem now that I need a solution for, is what to clean this bathroom with!

After we aired the bathroom out that day, my dh went in with rags and water and wiped everything down to neutralize it. So far, I've been scrubbing the sink with plain old baking soda. I'm afraid to use anything else anywhere! I've got some moldy specks on the ceiling again. The floor, I used baking soda and water. I have to, because I have 3 and 4 yr old boys who miss the toilet sometimes, and get pee on the floor. The baking soda helps eliminate some odor but isn't that great, and leaves a gritty residue. So I have to go over it again and again with water.

I used to use foaming bubbles to clean the soap scum in the tub, but again, I'm afraid to do anything even though my dd didn't get that area with the ammonia.

So now I'm in a quandry with what to clean this bathroom with, lest there still be residue and I awake the sleeping giant of chlorine gas again.

I found a cleaner made by Comet that's only active ingredient was citric acid. So I bought it because it had no ammonia or bleach. BUT before use I googled it, and it turns out that with bleach, you shouldn't mix any kind of acid or you'll get the same affect.

So how the heck, or what the heck should I use, to clean my bathroom and get rid of the mold on the ceiling?????

Thanks, and hope you found this helpful.

by on Jun. 14, 2014 at 7:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VACUTIE24
by Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 7:36 AM
It can get pretty strong.I have done this before I had to lift up every window in my apartment my head was hurting from the fumes for days. I was glad my daughter wasn't home.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Saharra
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 7:49 AM
I, too, have done this. I was at work, and I worked for a vet. She had an untrained puppy in her older fathers house and she wanted me to clean the cement floor with water and bleach and dump a little ammonia in. I didn't know better and she never told me that it wasn't ok to do a ton. And I have always been the type that more in better. As soon as I dumped it in, it started to smoke and fizz. I had no idea what was going on but as soon as it started, I started coughing. I got the puppy out, but didn't realize she had a cage full of bats in another room. I left the windows open, and her dad wasn't there. I went to go clean out the horse area and started coughing pretty bad. Ended up at the ER with burnt lungs. I was probably 17. And I ended up having to fight with my boss to pay the bill for it. AND all the bats died. It was bad, so I know where you are coming from.
Crack the window open if you are concerned about mold and you don't have a vent fan. Use it every time you take a shower.

Quoting buttersworth:

In this post I'm sort of looking for advice but also want to give a little to those who may need it, about cleaning with bleach products.

I'll never claim to be a rocket scientist but in my mid-twenties I was pretty f'n dumb. Attempting to clean my apartment bathroom, I soaked the tub in a bleach & water solution. Then, the tile surrounding the tub, I sprayed with some kind of bathroom cleaner that was ammonia-based. I left the room with the tub soaking, and soon noticed a strong smell. My roommate at the time figured what I was doing and knew the ammonia-based bathroom cleaner must undoubtedly have dripped into the bleach/water solution below, resulting in chlorine gas. So I had to drain the tub, put on the fan, and vacate the apartment a few hours.

So if you didn't already know, mixing bleach or bleach-based products with ammonia or ammonia-based products results in a dangerous and potentially fatal chlorine gas.

I never forgot that so have always been careful. My bathroom now gets moldy because it's an older house with no fan in the bathroom. So we clean the ceiling by spraying a bleach/water solution on it, the only thing that kills the mold specks. So I've been very vocal to my dh not to use anything in that bathroom but bleach-based cleaners.

Except on Mother's Day this year, my 13 yr old dd was trying to help clean up. Unbeknownst to me, she'd taken a paper towel and doused it with what she later said must've been about a tablespoon or more of straight ammonia to clean the top of the medicine cabinet, and windex for the mirror. (Windex is ammonia based).

I walked by the bathroom not knowing she'd done this and recognized a strange smell I hadn't experienced in 20 yrs. Then I found out what she'd done, and promptly opened the window and shut the door, not knowing yet how much ammonia she'd used. I started smelling it in the kitchen and got really nervous so I asked her more about it, and figured the amount used would surely send a gas all over the house. So I got everyone outside, put on an overhead fan by the front door. My dh put a window fan in the bathroom faced to draw the air out, we opened all windows in the whole house, and left for four hours til it all cleared.

So my advice is, never mix the two types of cleaning products. Don't directly mix them, that could be fatal. Don't even use them in the same room.

Also, I didn't know this, but Clorox WIpes are ammonia based! Clorox is a brand of bleach, but the wipes the company makes shouldn't be used in the same room with bleach-anything!

Now, my dd didn't directly mix these. What we did was two weeks before,spray the ceiling with bleach and it most likely misted down onto the light above the medicine cabinet and dried there. Then, she used ammonia which probably reconstituted whatever previous bleach solution had dried.

After we aired the bathroom out that day, my dh went in with rags and water and wiped everything down to neutralize it. So far, I've been scrubbing the sink with plain old baking soda. I'm afraid to use anything else anywhere! I've got some moldy specks on the ceiling again. The floor, I used baking soda and water. I have to, because I have 3 and 4 yr old boys who miss the toilet sometimes, and get pee on the floor. The baking soda helps eliminate some odor but isn't that great, and leaves a gritty residue. So I have to go over it again and again with water.

I used to use foaming bubbles to clean the soap scum in the tub, but again, I'm afraid to do anything even though my dd didn't get that area with the ammonia.

So now I'm in a quandry with what to clean this bathroom with, lest there still be residue and I awake the sleeping giant of chlorine gas again.

I found a cleaner made by Comet that's only active ingredient was citric acid. So I bought it because it had no ammonia or bleach. BUT before use I googled it, and it turns out that with bleach, you shouldn't mix any kind of acid or you'll get the same affect.

So how the heck, or what the heck should I use, to clean my bathroom and get rid of the mold on the ceiling?????

buttersworth
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 8:25 AM

Wow that is bad. But you didnt know. My dd still thinks I'm crazy for making everyone leave the house that day!  I'm glad you were ok.

I actually just read an article somewhere online where people think it makes a good cleaner to sometimes mix a bit of both bleach and ammonia. NO! I can't believe that some people do this. The article said to never do it. It probably makes a "good" cleaner because the chemical reaction is eating away at grime or whathaveyou....but it can be deadly. Not worth messing around with as you learned.

If there are any home ec. teachers out there, please teach your students about the do's and don'ts of household chemicals!!!!!

Quoting Saharra: I, too, have done this. I was at work, and I worked for a vet. She had an untrained puppy in her older fathers house and she wanted me to clean the cement floor with water and bleach and dump a little ammonia in. I didn't know better and she never told me that it wasn't ok to do a ton. And I have always been the type that more in better. As soon as I dumped it in, it started to smoke and fizz. I had no idea what was going on but as soon as it started, I started coughing. I got the puppy out, but didn't realize she had a cage full of bats in another room. I left the windows open, and her dad wasn't there. I went to go clean out the horse area and started coughing pretty bad. Ended up at the ER with burnt lungs. I was probably 17. And I ended up having to fight with my boss to pay the bill for it. AND all the bats died. It was bad, so I know where you are coming from. Crack the window open if you are concerned about mold and you don't have a vent fan. Use it every time you take a shower. Quoting buttersworth:

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Jun. 14, 2014 at 11:24 PM
I like the cleaners made be Melaluca. They are more natural and much better for health.
TXCatLady
by on Jun. 15, 2014 at 6:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Vinegar and water work well

ZennMomma
by Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 6:46 PM
You can buy a primer, kilz brand and a special paint, redo the ceiling and no more mold on ceiling.
This was a bad problem for me in Oregon, sooo humid and moldy. Finally cleaned with bleach then redid with primer etc, mold be gone :)
PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 6:48 PM

You can use the clorox based mildew remover, but use it AFTER you have cleaned the tub, sink and toilet if you use another type of cleaner.  I do this all the time and never have had a problem. It helps if you run the exhaust fan in the bathroom or at least open a window.  

hollyah73
by Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 6:51 PM
Use vinegar it works great but don't mix it with baking soda as some people will tell you because they neutralize each other and become ineffective.
NeonGirl9583
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 6:53 PM
I don't use bleach. It ruins clothes
mommy0f2g1b
by Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 6:57 PM

I can not use bleach in my house because my son is allergic to it. I have started using natural cleaners. Look up recipes online that use Vinegar for things. it gets rid of this problem and it's cheaper. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)