Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

I need some safety advice for online gaming...

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2014 at 7:23 PM
  • 17 Replies

I don't post here often, or at all really as I usually dont have general advice needs lol.

I let my son play WoW, actually all our kiddos do off and on, but my son is into it the most right now.
The problem is is that of course he doesn't say his name or age in the game, but I really want him to find people to play with that are his own age. I dont know how to do this safely, kwim?

I've heard enough about adults pretending to be kids to play online games with kids and behave inappropriately.

Any ideas? 

by on Jun. 14, 2014 at 7:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
a_and_j_momma
by Gold Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 7:33 PM
My son isn't allowed in chat rooms and is only able to play with friends from school
ZennMomma
by Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 7:46 PM

Right, but all mines friends dont play, they are on an xbox kick.  :(

Quoting a_and_j_momma: My son isn't allowed in chat rooms and is only able to play with friends from school

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Jun. 14, 2014 at 10:11 PM

I am not sure as we have never played online games like that.  How old is he?  Could he maybe ask around at school?

ZennMomma
by Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 10:16 PM
He is 12. He did ask at school, but most his friends are playing Xbox live and just not interested.
He doesn't give info out on the game, not even that he's a minor, so that's good, but also has been talked to rudely because he wasn't paying attention etc. He loves PvP and raids lol

Quoting countrygirlkat:

I am not sure as we have never played online games like that.  How old is he?  Could he maybe ask around at school?

Mrs.Urquhart
by Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 10:26 PM
1 mom liked this

World of Warcraft is no longer a child's game like it was a decade ago.  You literally cannot keep him from interacting with adults.

I'm a wow player myself, and although we all "grew up," we're still playing.  The only safety tip I can provide is that he look for a "pg" guild (yes, they exist) or that he not play at all.  OR, turn off trade chat.  (usually /leave trade will work.)

He's probably too young to be playing, honestly.

Look into Dragon Age or Dragon Age:Inquisition. SIMILAR to wow, but no world chat interface.

Mrs.Urquhart
by Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 10:27 PM

Yeah. Welcome to WOW.  He's going to be called a fucktard for standing in fire in a raid.  That's just how it is. :\

Quoting ZennMomma: He is 12. He did ask at school, but most his friends are playing Xbox live and just not interested. He doesn't give info out on the game, not even that he's a minor, so that's good, but also has been talked to rudely because he wasn't paying attention etc. He loves PvP and raids lol
Quoting countrygirlkat:

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Jun. 14, 2014 at 10:39 PM
1 mom liked this

That is a bummer that none of his friends are playing the same game he likes.  Do you think he might be interested in some of the games they like?

Quoting ZennMomma: He is 12. He did ask at school, but most his friends are playing Xbox live and just not interested. He doesn't give info out on the game, not even that he's a minor, so that's good, but also has been talked to rudely because he wasn't paying attention etc. He loves PvP and raids lol
Quoting countrygirlkat:

ZennMomma
by Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 11:29 PM
I've played wow, for a while actually, I had so I know how its changed.
I don't think my son is too young, and I never said I wanted to keep him from adults.
I was wanting to see if there was a way to find younger players.

My son actually is a good gamer :)

Quoting Mrs.Urquhart:

World of Warcraft is no longer a child's game like it was a decade ago.  You literally cannot keep him from interacting with adults.

I'm a wow player myself, and although we all "grew up," we're still playing.  The only safety tip I can provide is that he look for a "pg" guild (yes, they exist) or that he not play at all.  OR, turn off trade chat.  (usually /leave trade will work.)

Look into Dragon Age or Dragon Age:Inquisition. SIMILAR to wow, but no world chat interface.

Mrs.Urquhart
by Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 11:30 PM
1 mom liked this

You won't find many his age at all, though.  There aren't guilds of small humans, and honestly, he's not supposed to be on the game before 13 (chatting with other people) so he can't even reasonably go onto the forums and look for a guild.

i recommend finding a family oriented guild.

Quoting ZennMomma: I've played wow, for a while actually, I had so I know how its changed. I don't think my son is too young, and I never said I wanted to keep him from adults. I was wanting to see if there was a way to find younger players. My son actually is a good gamer :)
Quoting Mrs.Urquhart:

ZennMomma
by Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 11:32 PM
That's not really the experience I have, or my husband....

He got a smack talking because he didn't do his part during a raid...so I told him to pay better attention.

Quoting Mrs.Urquhart:

Yeah. Welcome to WOW.  He's going to be called a fucktard for standing in fire in a raid.  That's just how it is. :\

Quoting ZennMomma: He is 12. He did ask at school, but most his friends are playing Xbox live and just not interested.
He doesn't give info out on the game, not even that he's a minor, so that's good, but also has been talked to rudely because he wasn't paying attention etc. He loves PvP and raids lol

Quoting countrygirlkat:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)