Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Is it wrong to not stick around during day camp?

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2014 at 11:23 PM
  • 17 Replies

This will probably sound really stupid to some people. 

My 5 tr old is doing a morning day camp from 9 - 11 starting next week. a Safety City camp. Is it wrong if I don't linger those 2 hours and go do other things? I will have my 1 year old with me and she will NOT make it waiting around. 

I've seen moms at the Rec center just chill there the whole time, and I don't want to be irresponsible. I just feel like I could be getting some stuff done. 

EDIT: Some of you brought up some good questions/points and I just wanted to add a few things. 

It's at our local rec center, the 2 hour day camp takes place inside one of the gyms. We have taken many classes here before and I know 1 of the 2 instructors, but this will be his first camp. 

He has attended pre-school in the same district and for the last two years - he'll be in K in the fall - ao he is used to doing things in a structured setting since I used to drop him off and pick him up from half day Pre-K. One of his old classmates might do the camp with him, there were still a few spot left when I was talking with his mom about signing up and I forgot to ask if she ended up signing up her boy. But I believe there is one familiar face in the camp who took a sport's class with him last year. It seems some moms stay others leave during the 45 minute classes, or go workout or what have you, I just didn't know how it was handled during the actual camps. I like the idea of calling ahead and will see if I can reach their front desk today. If not, I'll ask when I am there tomorrow. :) 

If they would have had a "Mommy and Me" class at the same it would have been PERFECT and I could have done that with my little one. We don't have memberships at the rec center - which is stupid, we need to just get them since we do so many classes - so I don't know if they will let us use their outdoor play area or not. If so, I can just play with my daughter there until his time ends. Camp is Mon-Fri this week and Mon-Thurs. next and it would be nice to get some stuff done while only dealing with one child instead of 2. 

Hmmm...still torn. I'll ask. 

Would you still leave your kid or still hang around? 

"The truth is not always beautiful, nor beautiful words the truth" - Lao Tzu

by on Jun. 14, 2014 at 11:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Jun. 14, 2014 at 11:28 PM
2 moms liked this

I would ask the rec center their policy on this.  They may say parents need to be present and they may say that it is a parent's choice. 

jackiewal10
by Gold Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 11:31 PM
2 moms liked this

If it's camp, I'm pretty sure they expect the children to be dropped off.

Momofmenagerie
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 11:44 PM
1 mom liked this
Camp is camp. They'd prob prefer you not be there as it can cause a distraction.

My tot has two consecutive hours of therapy every week. I do not hang out in the waiting room for two hours. I just make sure I 'm back by ten minutes before his therapy ends.

Go.... Be free for a bit. They have your number and your child should have it memorized by that age anyway.
illogicalkat
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 2:28 AM
1 mom liked this

If they expected you to stay, they wouldn't call it "camp."

Bmat
by Barb on Jun. 15, 2014 at 8:38 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree, ask their policy.  If you don't have to stay, it would be good for you and for the children for you to leave for the couple hours.

FireMoonGypsy
by Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 9:09 AM

Thanks ladies! 

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Jun. 15, 2014 at 11:58 AM
I would stay. I stay during soccer camp with a 18 month old and 23 weeks pregnant.
momofsixangels
by on Jun. 15, 2014 at 12:03 PM

I dont see why you couldnt

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Jun. 15, 2014 at 2:22 PM

Either way. If you trust the place, sure. I think that IS what they expect.  :)

At our church, when the kids to little acitivites I do leave them. But that is somewhere that I know they will be safe.

Maybe, if this is your first time and he is only 5 stay a while or real close like a walk around the block.

ER-momma
by Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 2:23 PM
I agree with the other posts, that's the point of camp lol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)