Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Breastfeeding on the mini pill and no period in almost 3 years?!?!?

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2014 at 11:44 PM
  • 4 Replies
I found out I was pregnant with my first child dec 8th of 2011 and my last period was on November 8th of 2011. On august 20th 2012 my son was born I breastfed him until he was a year old but when he was 8 months old I had very light spotting not even like a real period and got pregnant again with my daughter who was born jan 16th of this year and she is exclusively breastfed and I am on the mini pill. I'm scared because I haven't had a "real" period since November of 2011 and am taking birth control with no cycle 😕 Is this normal? My babies are 17m apart, I'm tempted to stop the pill because I feel like I'm messing up my reproductive organs or that I won't be able to conceive anymore and every now and then I have a very sharp stabbing like pain in the middle of my uterus I'm hoping someone has a similar story with a positive outcome because I'm really stressed
by on Jun. 14, 2014 at 11:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Jun. 14, 2014 at 11:56 PM

It actually is very common for women who exclusively breastfeed to not get periods while nursing.  Even if you were not on the mini-pill there is a big chance you wouldn't have had a period in the same amount of time.  My first two kids are 16 months apart and I was the same way where I got pregnant with my second without having a real period after my first.  I wouldn't be concerned at all, expecially since you are still exclusively breastfeeding your second baby.  I would continue on the pill if that is what you would like until you wean and then you can decide what you would like to do from there.  I would however ask you doctor about the pain just in case you might have a cyst or something causing it. 

AspensMama1537
by Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 11:13 AM
It probably has nothing to do with the pill itself, exclusively breastfeeding can keep periods away.
linz04060913
by on Jun. 15, 2014 at 11:33 AM

I refuse to take any birth control at all. Why not do NFP if you can?

Freela
by on Jun. 15, 2014 at 12:32 PM

With the minipill, it's normal not to have a period, especially while bf'ing.  Actually, if you resume cycles on the minipill, you're more likely to become pregnant, as it means it is no longer suppressing ovulation.  Be happy you're not having them... when I did start having periods again on the minipill, they were very irregular and had tons of spotting in between and were generally really annoying!

I didn't have a period for about 2.5 years after having my youngest, between bf'ing and the minipill.  After that I resumed having normal cycles, no harm done.  This is considered normal while on the minipill and bf'ing, both of which suppress ovulation (no ovulation means no period.  The 'periods' you have on the combination pill are not real periods, but breakthrough bleeding from the drop in hormones during the off-week of pills.)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)