Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Can a newborn use a convertible car seat?

Posted by on Jun. 15, 2014 at 2:24 PM
  • 11 Replies

I have an evenflo tribute, and it says minimum weight is 5 lbs. When I had my son, he had an infant car seat, but that has since expired. Now he has the evenflo tribute. He is almost 3 and we are thinking of having another kid. The car seat does not expire until 2018. Would it work for a new baby or would he or she need a new infant car seat? I am just deciding whether to give away or save it. My son will outgrow it soon.

Edited it to be slightly clearer

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jun. 15, 2014 at 2:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AM-BRAT
by Amber on Jun. 15, 2014 at 2:29 PM
1 mom liked this

As long as peanut fits the requirement minimums of course you can. 

EvilQueenMommy
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 2:30 PM

It says 5 lbs for weight, does height matter? My son was 9lbs, 21 inches, so I imagine my next will be big too. 

Quoting AM-BRAT:

CafeMom Tickers
mom2jasper
by Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 2:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes. You can use a convertible carseat. That's what makes it convertible. It can be used from newborns to preschool (Or whenever the child outgrows it.) As long as the baby is 5 lbs when discharged, you will be fine. (Very few carseats have a minimum weight of 4 lbs. My local hospitals don't discharge babies until they are 5 lbs.)

jjchick75
by Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 2:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes they can. My youngest two did.
Bethbeth
by on Jun. 15, 2014 at 3:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Some convertible seats are rated well for saftey for newborns and some are rated very badly, as they really are made for older babies. You have to do your own research on this particular seat. Or join the carseat saftely group and ask there.

EvilQueenMommy
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 4:14 PM

Thanks, I'll look for that group

Quoting EvilQueenMommy:

I have an evenflo tribute, and it says minimum weight is 5 lbs. When I had my son, he had an infant car seat, but that has since expired. Now he has the evenflo tribute. He is almost 3 and we are thinking of having another kid. The car seat does not expire until 2018. Would it work for a new baby or would he or she need a new infant car seat? I am just deciding whether to give away or save it. My son will outgrow it soon.

CafeMom Tickers
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Jun. 15, 2014 at 4:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes! We do!
BroCosMom
by on Jun. 16, 2014 at 3:46 PM
1 mom liked this
As long as straps are below the shoulders and baby is over 5lbs it's fine :-)

Quoting EvilQueenMommy:

It says 5 lbs for weight, does height matter? My son was 9lbs, 21 inches, so I imagine my next will be big too. 

Quoting AM-BRAT:

KristinD1988
by Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 4:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I have an Evenflo as well, but the symphony, which is also a convertable. Minimum was 5 pounds and my daughter used it as an infant when she was first born at 7.8 pounds and we're still using it now and she's 9 months. 

bamababe1975
by Gold Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 4:37 PM
1 mom liked this

If your baby meets the height and weight guidelines on the seat, then yes, although many don't like convertible carseats for any age. Have you checked out this group yet?: Car Seat Safety

Quoting EvilQueenMommy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN