Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Pacifiers *Update*

Posted by on Jun. 15, 2014 at 7:14 PM
  • 15 Replies
My dd is almost 18 months old and has had a pacifier since the day she was born. She recently started putting the entire thing in her mouth. Her dad and I pull it out whenever we see it. When would be a good time to break her of using a pacifier and how? Her cousin broke herself of the pacifier by her first birthday. I was hoping dd would do the same. I was also thinking of just waiting till she lost them all, she only has 2 left. If your lo used a pacifier how did you break them of it?

*Update: Thank you so much for all your suggestions and advice. I think I'm just going to take the last 2 and hide them for now. I know there will be an adjustment period but I want her off the pacifier before she goes into a toddler bed (which is happening when we can get a second gate so her only option is her room or our room). I'll update again at the end of the week with how she's doing without the pacifier.
by on Jun. 15, 2014 at 7:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
proudmommy690
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 7:16 PM
My youngest is 2.5 and I JUST got her broken of it. But only because she lost them lol. When it was finally found it went straight to the garbage. I took away the other 2 at 18 months.
mm_mom515
by Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 7:21 PM
My dd was 2 1/2, but never put the entire thing in her mouth. That sounds like she's making it a choking hazard. With my dd, her dentist said it was starting to push her teeth out. She was older then your little one so we talked to her an I told her that the binkies, that's what we called them, missed their mommy. So she wrote on a postal box and we mailed them back to their mommy. She cried one nap time and then at bed she asked about them, I told her we sent them to their mommy remember and she was sad and said ok and that was it. I was lucky. I thought it was going to be a lot harder then it was.

I've heard others say they cut the pasci, or tie them to balloons and the baby watches them fly away. I think the cutting them so they can't suck them might work for you since she's so young.

Good luck
oliveoil423
by Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 7:43 PM
If she is able to put it in her mouth just take it and throw it away when shes not looking. I just got rid of my daughters cause she really didnt use them.
WILDCATGAL78
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 8:09 PM

My daughter is 16 months. At her 15 month well baby check her pedi recommended doing it cold turkey. I haven't had the heart to take them away yet as we started with the bottles. 18 months is my goal for my daughter as well.

Tohru_Lynn89
by Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 9:12 PM
She doesn't really suck on them anymore. She chews on them. But that's a good idea.

Quoting mm_mom515: My dd was 2 1/2, but never put the entire thing in her mouth. That sounds like she's making it a choking hazard. With my dd, her dentist said it was starting to push her teeth out. She was older then your little one so we talked to her an I told her that the binkies, that's what we called them, missed their mommy. So she wrote on a postal box and we mailed them back to their mommy. She cried one nap time and then at bed she asked about them, I told her we sent them to their mommy remember and she was sad and said ok and that was it. I was lucky. I thought it was going to be a lot harder then it was.

I've heard others say they cut the pasci, or tie them to balloons and the baby watches them fly away. I think the cutting them so they can't suck them might work for you since she's so young.

Good luck
amberNewman0213
by Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 9:13 PM
We just put them away. She never asked for it and that was that
Angels_Exist
by New Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 11:32 PM
I have had many different suggestions for my daughter. She is very attached to her pacifiers. We have put a plan in place to "give them back to the pacifier fairy so that new babies can have them." We wrote on the calendar when it will be time (after her brother comes home from his dads next week!!!! Yay) and every day we talk about the BIG DAY! just to help prepare her. We plan to have a little party (nothing big, just some balloons and cake) to celebrate the new babies who will receive her gift. She is 2.5.
christina122952
by on Jun. 15, 2014 at 11:37 PM
My 9 month old daughter never uses one
brieri
by on Jun. 16, 2014 at 12:36 AM

Gave them a blankie in place of the paci.  One sucked on her thumb and the other was never interested.

a_and_j_momma
by Gold Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 12:45 AM
I would just toss it and redirect
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)