Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Online tutoring?

Posted by on Jun. 16, 2014 at 6:15 PM
  • 5 Replies

Hi parents,

Recently I've been searching for a tutor for my child.  I've done research on online tutoring and it seems like online tutoring is a very viable option.  Improved technology in the recent years (internet,video conferencing, etc) has paved ways for online education, allowing students to learn via the internet. With schools gradually integrating technology into education, it seems fitting to integrate learning at home online as well!  Since online tutoring is in fact online, I would cut down on travel costs and won't have to drive my kid everywhere. Online tutoring is also available 24/7 meaning I wouldn't have to work around the tutor's schedule and my child can get help at any time (including 9pm at night if he has to!)

What are your views on online tutoring as opposed to hiring a private tutor? Has any of your children used any online tutoring services? If so, how was the experience?

Thanks

Edit:  Also, how much would you be willing to pay for online tutoring as opposed to private tutoring?

by on Jun. 16, 2014 at 6:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 6:23 PM
1 mom liked this

I have used both.  My girls went to Score before which is computer tutoring with a couple of adults who help if need be to a group of possibly 16 kids at a time. 

Also used Sylvan before also.  Sylvan is way more but it is one to 3 ratio.  Both were good, yet different. 

TylersMom999
by Silver Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 6:49 PM
1 mom liked this

My son is tutored through a private tutor and also has adhd.... The problem I would have with a online tutor would be getting my son to sit down and actually do the tutoring sessions online.  He would be more distracted working from home as opposed to sitting down with a private tutor where he has no choice but to focus on what he is doing.  However I do think if you have a child who would commit to sitting down and doing the tutoring online it could be a great thing as you said you wouldnt have to run your child to the tutoring sessions with a private tutor and work around the tutors schedule.  

funhappymom
by on Jun. 17, 2014 at 8:12 AM

I'm sorry, I haven't had a need for either. Here's a bump though.

LancesMom
by Gold Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 8:56 AM

I am not sure online tutoring would be something I'd seek. If I am paying for my child to be tutored, I would want them to be next to them, teaching as questions come up. Not through video conferencing. Not through emails or social media. Even though the interent has progressed. Its not an in the moment learning tool. Too many technical glitches, ISP issues. Not dependable enough for me to pay!

I would want it to be more personable.

ceciliam
by Cecilia on Jun. 18, 2014 at 9:41 AM

I've never had a need for online tutoring but my sister is a tecaher, and she use to do some online tutoring. I'm not sure how much she charged, though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)