Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

and so it begins

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2014 at 10:10 PM
  • 11 Replies
Argh!! DS' (4) teacher sent him home with homework tonight. He was suppised to write A and a on one of those worksheet pages. I about pulled all my hair out trying to get him to do it. He kept saying "it's boring". I do not want to make him miserable over it and have him end up hating reading and writing but I also want him to understand he has to do work assigned to him. It does not help that I am slightly annoyed that we got an email yesterday saying all the kids need to be able to write their names by Fri in oder to get an ice cream sundae. Two days to encourage him to write his name? He is going to be heart broken tomorrow. I just feel they should have given us a couple weeks to work on this, not a couple days. *sigh*

Anyhow, any tips for encouraging a good homework ethic at this age without pushing him so hard that he ends up hating school?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 19, 2014 at 10:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bmat
by Barb on Jun. 19, 2014 at 10:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Have a set time for homework.  When he gets home, you can either have him do his homework or let him run around for a while, both have advantages and disadvantages. Having him sit right down means the work gets done while he is still in school mode, and he can look forward to not having more school work afterward. But running around first gets some energy run off, only then he'll have to settle down again to do the homework.  Make a routine no matter which you decide on.

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Jun. 19, 2014 at 10:47 PM
1 mom liked this
We allow 30 minutes of free time after school before starting homework. He also earns acheck mark for doing his homework. After so many he can trade them in for something.
a_and_j_momma
by Gold Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 12:44 AM
1 mom liked this
Great ideas

Quoting Mom2Just1: We allow 30 minutes of free time after school before starting homework. He also earns acheck mark for doing his homework. After so many he can trade them in for something.
butzi
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 9:22 AM
1 mom liked this
4 is too young to be spending his day at school doing a bunch of seat work, let alone doing homework that is sitting and doing a worksheet. 4 year olds learn best through exploring, hands on discovery and most importantly, play!!! I am not judging you. I am just saying that this looks like a sure fire plan to ensure that your son will dislike school, feel insecure, and feel bad about his own abilities.
LoveMyBoyK
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 9:38 AM
He is in Montessori preschool so he is not doing any seat work. He uses rods and sand paper letters and other hands on tools to learn.

Quoting butzi: 4 is too young to be spending his day at school doing a bunch of seat work, let alone doing homework that is sitting and doing a worksheet. 4 year olds learn best through exploring, hands on discovery and most importantly, play!!! I am not judging you. I am just saying that this looks like a sure fire plan to ensure that your son will dislike school, feel insecure, and feel bad about his own abilities.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
strictmomhere
by Platinum Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 9:39 AM
I made mine get it over with no choice
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
butzi
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 9:49 AM
1 mom liked this
I love Montessori schools, but then it surprises me that a) they send home seat work homework that must be done ( as opposed to sending home optional supplemental work), and b) they set an arbitrary deadline for the name writing thing.
LoveMyBoyK
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 9:57 AM
The date for writing the name surprise d me. But it turned out not to be the huge melt down I was afraid of happening. The homework was something more of a misunderstanding, I think, since his teacher told me the next morning he is still working on building the dexterity in his fingers to write on his own. And she left it in his folder so I think it is just a "here is something to practice" kind pf thing. It is a new school so we are all still trying to adjust. There are some things I like better about this and some I liked better at the last school (also Montessori) but I guess that is to be expected.

Quoting butzi: I love Montessori schools, but then it surprises me that a) they send home seat work homework that must be done ( as opposed to sending home optional supplemental work), and b) they set an arbitrary deadline for the name writing thing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
butzi
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this
Glad things are
Working out better for you. With Montessori, sometimes even though the philosophy is what Maria Montessori envisioned, the execution can vary wildly from school to school. Good luck.
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 10:26 AM

Most 4 year olds can write their name.  Mine learned all their alphabet in 3 and 4 year old preschool so they could write each letter by the end of 4 year old preschool.  Some may have not looked great or a lot were backwards but that is normal at that age and even in kindergarten. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN