Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms
Hey ladies, so I've spent a couple of days doing a ton of yard work around my house. Well, my husband went around with round up poison ivy killer because we had MASSIVE poison ivy, oak, and sumac plants in the back yard around the fence. Apparently the spray didn't work because I now have poison ivy on my neck. I'm allergic to it, not to the point of anaphylaxis, but bad enough that one time a friend of mine brushed against a plant and he immediately washed his hands, then jokingly he rubbed his hands on my pant leg and that night I broke out in huge rashes on my legs. I'm usually very good at spotting it and not coming into contact with it. My issue here is, I CAN'T STOP ITCHING 😣. It kept me up all night last night and it's getting worse. I tried washing the urushiol (the nasty stuff that makes you itch) off as soon as I noticed I touched a plant, and still got a rash! I've tried Dawn dish soap, lemon juice, hot water, and cold coffee. Nothing is working. I'm a pretty broke momma, all our money goes to bills and necessities for our son. What are some home remedies you've tried and had success with? The itching is driving me crazy!
by on Jun. 20, 2014 at 8:00 AM
Replies (11-19):
Johnnysxangel
by Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 8:35 PM
Thanks ladies year are great ideas! Tckosdk.2012, I'm going to have to try that! Especially since my husband is going to so around with the round up again, I don't think that stuff is very good since it didn't do it's job in the first place lol. I'll just reuse the handy pump n' go container it came in lol And vettechmom88, that sucks about the hives!!! Ps I love your signature, HP all the way :)
snowangel1979
by Silver Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 8:45 PM
If It's like the stuff we have, the round up works in like 3-7 days. You'll watch it slowly turn brown a die. It like kills it from the inside out.

A vinager and baking soda bath is the only thing that worked for DS.

Quoting Johnnysxangel: Thanks ladies year are great ideas! Tckosdk.2012, I'm going to have to try that! Especially since my husband is going to so around with the round up again, I don't think that stuff is very good since it didn't do it's job in the first place lol. I'll just reuse the handy pump n' go container it came in lol And vettechmom88, that sucks about the hives!!! Ps I love your signature, HP all the way :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
beadingmom17
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 11:14 PM
It's like a cap full of bleach to a tub of water. It's often recommended for kids with bad eczema. It doesn't hurt you.

Quoting Johnnysxangel: Bleach bath? That sounds painful 😳 how would I do that? It's only on my neck and collar bone right now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Johnnysxangel
by Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 8:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh okay! I'm glad I didn't try it yet because I would have done it wrong lol

Quoting beadingmom17: It's like a cap full of bleach to a tub of water. It's often recommended for kids with bad eczema. It doesn't hurt you.

Quoting Johnnysxangel: Bleach bath? That sounds painful 😳 how would I do that? It's only on my neck and collar bone right now.

strictmomhere
by Platinum Member on Jun. 21, 2014 at 9:37 AM
Try vinegar takes the itch away
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
knittymom4
by Member on Jun. 22, 2014 at 1:26 PM

When I had chicken-pox as a kid my Nana made this baking-soda paste with just baking-soda and water, that helped a whole lot. I know it's not the same but it can't hurt. 

Johnnysxangel
by Member on Jun. 22, 2014 at 7:47 PM
Thanks! Today I used my homemade coffee body scrub (has sugar, coffee grounds (not used), and coconut oil in it and is amazing and smells like heaven lol) and scrubbed it and so far it hasn't been too bad. The itch isn't completely gone but it's much better!
candy23
by on Jun. 22, 2014 at 10:48 PM

i itched so bad i wanted to die when i got a terrible case of hand foot mouth disease last summer. Nothing helped, i tried oatmeal bath, hydrocortisone, anti-itch products, coconut oil. However there was one thing that helped a tad. baking soda bath. i got a tub full of baking soda and water and it calmed the itch enough for me to go back to sleep, it was seriously so bad i was crying. hope that helps you should try it.

terpmama
by Bronze Member on Jun. 22, 2014 at 10:57 PM
Mud always worked with us... Works on burn hazel the best but the poison ivy spots got better too...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)