Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

1 Year old still on bottles at night. Judging him.

Posted by on Jun. 22, 2014 at 11:42 PM
  • 50 Replies
Im a first time mom with a 17 month old son. My husband and I live in a 1bed 1bath house (Our son was not planned when living in the house). So we had to make due with the small space and it has been working.
Anyway...Before he my son turned a year in January he was getting the hang of drinking from sippy cups during the day and now that's all he gets (day time). Night time is a different story. He still gets bottles before bed and 2 times during the night (Whole milk). I haven't taken him off yet because he sleeps in his bed in our room and my husband gets up at 6:30am for work. I don't want my son crying and waking my husband up.
My sister-n law has 2 kids and 3rd due tomorrow. It aggravates her that my son isn't off the bottle. I know he needs to be and she knows the situation we're in.
Does it really hurt the child being on a bottle after 1?
My cut off is close to 2 years. I know people say it messes up there speech but he only says a few basic words. Im just sick of close family judging our patenting skills. .
by on Jun. 22, 2014 at 11:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CrazyBossy
by on Jun. 22, 2014 at 11:44 PM
2 moms liked this
Give him water at night if you at least want him to keep his teeth.
erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on Jun. 22, 2014 at 11:44 PM
The bottle doesn't bother me as much as what your putting in it. Nothing but water should be in there. As a mother of 4 spanning 30 years one thing I have learned that rarely is what's easiest the right thing to do for the child
starinez
by New Member on Jun. 22, 2014 at 11:44 PM
1 mom liked this
It's really bad for his teeth. I know from experience. Not gonna judge. Maybe you can start watering them down little by little till all he gets I'd water in the bottle.
Retrokitty
by Bronze Member on Jun. 22, 2014 at 11:46 PM
1 mom liked this
Milk in the bottle? Yes that's bad, you will rot his teeth. Give water instead. If you have troubles start with 3/4 milk and 1/4 water and slowly work your way to all water.
mommybear91
by Member on Jun. 22, 2014 at 11:50 PM
1 mom liked this
This post saddens me. There's just so many things wrong with this but I haven't been in your situation so I guess I can't talk. I just can't get over the bottle thing on how it seems your choosing to mess up your kids teeth then be the mom and tell him to get used to not a having a bottle anymore. Both my boys were off bottles on there first birthdays. I'm not bashing I'm simply just saying you need to be mom and tell him what's going on. Not him.
texasgirl1112
by New Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 12:05 AM
He likes having the bottle for comfort at night. And he won't drink anything while he eats. He drinks water, Waterd down apple juice and grape juice during the day from his cup.
lilmama8408
by Silver Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 12:37 AM
The milk sitting on his teeth at night will rot them. It's not the bottle itself but the milk sitting in his mouth as I'm sure you don't brush his teeth after his bottle.
Where we live it's fine to room with your child until they are 3yrs old.

Quoting texasgirl1112: He likes having the bottle for comfort at night. And he won't drink anything while he eats. He drinks water, Waterd down apple juice and grape juice during the day from his cup.
Tckosdk.2012
by Bronze Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 1:57 AM
1 mom liked this

It doesn't mess up their speech it messes up their teeth. Try water in the bottle & make sure you brush his teeth before bed. Milk has a ton of sugar in it & causes cavaties & tooth rot (bottle rot). Don't worry about what anyone else says. Do what you feel is right for you & your family. Just don't even talk about it with family or friends. I still breastfeed my almost 2 yr old & people say all kinds of stuff about that. I just don't don't talk to people about it anymore. Try a pacifier instead of the bottle, that might help, otherwise try water in the bottle.

Tckosdk.2012
by Bronze Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 1:59 AM

Talk to a pediatric dentist too for advice.

Nicolle_09
by on Jun. 23, 2014 at 2:33 AM
1 mom liked this

mother of two here...you do what you believe is best just make sure you brush his teeth in the morning and at night...

My youngest is 2.5 years old and he didnt stop bottles till a few months ago when his last one shattered after being dropped...he still gets sippies of milk through out the night...

(fyi my oldest was completely off bottles and milk at night by a year)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN