• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about home schooling- do you have breaks or keep going?

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 9:39 AM
  • 15 Replies

When you home school, do you take the summer off?  What about other public school holidays?

by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 9:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 9:57 AM
1 mom liked this

I can tell you that friends of mine that homeschool give a lunch break.  One I know of starts her homeschool every morning at 8am.  She gets her kids up at 7:30am and during breakfast lays out what they are gonna do that day.  They do not take off public school holidays and usually start a week before public schools and therefore end school a month before public schools do.  I know for her grade school kids the one that starts at 8am is finished up every day at 1:30. Then they can have a field trip or just do whatever.  Her kids were in after school activities also, like  dance and sports. 

Another Mom is unorganized as hell and was a former teacher.  She never has an agenda.  At dance her kids were doing homeschool then at 5pm, something they didn't get done during the day.  She seemed too unorganized to me to even homeschool, lol.  She gave her kids time off whenever she wanted. 

A 3rd friend homeschooled year around with weeks of breaks here and there kinda like regular year around school.  She finished up a couple weeks before regular school ended and started up again in June.  She saw what everyone sees that year around school works better and no need for review in the fall after 3 months off. 

waytomanykids10
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 9:59 AM
1 mom liked this
We home school from:
September 3rd to December 2nd, January 3rd to April 2nd,
April 9th to June 3rd
July 1st to August 23rd.

We don't take any holidays off during our scheduled days of school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
strictmomhere
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:14 AM
1 mom liked this
When I home schooled we look off breaks like spring and christmas and summer
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bluecalm
by Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:41 AM
1 mom liked this
I basically go year-round. This year I took off June for camp and we'll start up again mid July. Every 6 weeks we'll take a week off.
Bluecalm
by Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:46 AM
Regarding your friend who you think is disorganized, she may well be, but I wanted to point out that homeschooling is very flexible and isn't school at home so there's no reason she has to be finished by 3 each day.

Quoting atlmom2:

I can tell you that friends of mine that homeschool give a lunch break.  One I know of starts her homeschool every morning at 8am.  She gets her kids up at 7:30am and during breakfast lays out what they are gonna do that day.  They do not take off public school holidays and usually start a week before public schools and therefore end school a month before public schools do.  I know for her grade school kids the one that starts at 8am is finished up every day at 1:30. Then they can have a field trip or just do whatever.  Her kids were in after school activities also, like  dance and sports. 

Another Mom is unorganized as hell and was a former teacher.  She never has an agenda.  At dance her kids were doing homeschool then at 5pm, something they didn't get done during the day.  She seemed too unorganized to me to even homeschool, lol.  She gave her kids time off whenever she wanted. 

A 3rd friend homeschooled year around with weeks of breaks here and there kinda like regular year around school.  She finished up a couple weeks before regular school ended and started up again in June.  She saw what everyone sees that year around school works better and no need for review in the fall after 3 months off. 

Bmat
by Barb on Jun. 29, 2014 at 5:13 PM

Thank you for the examples. These are very interesting. The only person I know who homeschooled (it has been several years ago) was very disorganized about it and I wondered how it would work.

Quoting atlmom2:

Bmat
by Barb on Jun. 29, 2014 at 5:15 PM

Thank you! I am glad I asked about this. I had vaguely thought that homeschool would follow public school holidays, then it occurred to me, why should they! :)

Quoting waytomanykids10: We home school from: September 3rd to December 2nd, January 3rd to April 2nd, April 9th to June 3rd July 1st to August 23rd. We don't take any holidays off during our scheduled days of school.

Bluecalm
by Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 5:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Thanks for your post because you inspired me to pull out the calendar and block out my sessions and breaks. :)
ambcortez
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 6:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I give them about 3-4 months break. We finished May 30 and are starting again Sep 1.

Bmat
by Barb on Jun. 29, 2014 at 8:05 PM

good

Quoting Bluecalm: Thanks for your post because you inspired me to pull out the calendar and block out my sessions and breaks. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)