Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschool Question?

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 6:46 PM
  • 6 Replies

My oldest son starts kindergarten in August and I am seriously considering homeschooling but I'm not sure where to start or how to even go about doing it? Any advice would be very appreciated

by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 6:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
GodsAmiga
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 7:08 PM

I just homeschooled my daughter for kindergarten. I loved it! :-) What I did was first I decided what I was going to have us concentrate on. For kindergarten I decided we would focus on reading/writing and numbers/math. I knew we would do some science and history and Bible, etc here and there but that plus art were all things we naturally do or talk about. Anyways, after I decided what I wanted to focus on I figured out my daughter's learning style. She is a hands-on learner so after finding that out I was able to search for reading and math curriculum that seemed to be more hands-on. She is also a "why?" learner so I wanted to find a phonics method that taught all the sounds, rules, exceptions, etc. Partly to answer her "why" questions and partly because that is how I learned so I am partial to it. :-) I found a great curriculum (Logic of English) and a good math primer to give her a solid start. We both loved homeschooling this past year and we actually finished kindergarten in February despite being able to take plenty of time-off for different reasons. :-) She enjoyed it so much that she asked to start 1st grade right away! I credit it to having found the right curriculum for her learning style. With that being said if you buy something that doesn't seem to work for your son or you don't be afraid to switch it up! :-) I got the second math book in the math curriculum I had used and immediately realized that it was not working anymore. My daughter has started wanting to know more of the "why"s of math now and she also likes looking at math problems differently than the typical 20+30=50 type ways. I searched around and found one that a few of my homeschooling friends have used that they say has given their kids great comprehension of math and that seems to approach math differently. I have ordered it and we are going to switch things up. :-) So decide what you want to cover, discover his learning style, find curriculum that will allow him to learn that way, and don't be afraid to change things up if something isn't working. :-)

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 7:17 PM

Find out how your state works.  Join a homeschooling group on cafemom.  They know a lot. 

SissyMacK
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 7:33 PM

I don't use a curriculum for the lower grades.  Just lots of games, hands on activities, and reading.  I don't go completely "un-school," but at that age learning should be fun.  One of my favorite activities is to read aloud a book and then ask the kids to review it.  I write the review in their exact words on a huge lined tablet that is displayed in the house.  It gives me a good idea of their listening comprehension and gives them something to talk to dad or visitors about. 

Arianna
by New Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 1:24 AM

What state are you in?  Are you looking at religious homeschooling or secular homeschooling?  What is your son's learning style?  How is his attention span?  What things does he like? What has he learned so far?  has he gone to preschool?  Once I know these answers, I can probably direct you a little better.  :)  I have been homeschooling for 8 years.

Mommy2Phenley
by on Jul. 3, 2014 at 1:02 AM

Join a homeschooling group or two on here and repeat your question for a more targeted audience.

In the meantime, look up your state laws. It varies widely. Though most states school is not compulsory until 6 or later so you're probably clear for K regardless. I think a couple states start at 5 though, so check.

Consider your long term goals. Are you planning on sending him to school for first or continuing to homeschool? If you will be homeschooling, you can do whatever you want with this year, really. If you will be sending him to school, then you may feel more confident knowing what public school k students in your district are doing so that you can have him ready for first with his peers. K shouldn't take much, but it's something to consider if most kids in your district do attend K.

K doesn't have to be very formal. Play, fun, and developing a love of learning are the important points. We used a lot of curriculum for our K year, but DD loves it, craves it, and asks for it. Not all kids do. You know your child best, so how formal or not you do school is up to you. K also doesn't have to take very long. Keep in mind you have one child, not 25. A homeschool K day is MUCH shorter than a PS K day. We spent about an hour and a half a day, four days a week. But that time is including cuddling up on the couch reading and some hands-on activities. We probably spent about 45 minutes in actual seat work.

Again, you don't really *need* formal curriculum for K, but there are many options out there if you do want one and feel it would be a good fit. There are too many options to realistically list suggestions without knowing anything about you and your son. If you'd like some suggestions, when you post in the homeschooling groups (or here) add some info about your son and your goals so we can better direct you. Things like: religous or secular? All planned out for you with everything you need in one big box? Or are you okay with subjects from various sources? Teacher intensive or "open and go"? Are you looking for hands-on? Literature based? Workbook based? How does your son learn best?

Homeschooling is lots of fun! Good luck on your journey!

ambcortez
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 1:05 AM

I was homeschooled and grew up using Abeka, so that's what I'm using for my kids. The curriculum is pretty easy and everything comes in a parent/student kit.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)