Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dodge Grand Caravan- Opinions?(PIOG)

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:30 PM
  • 12 Replies

So being overseas we have the option of utilizing the Exchange New Car Sales programs... The only vehicle options are American made cars, and I'm okay with that. I do worry about the resale value and how ependable they may be, but from what I have read they're much better than they were 5-10 years ago. Right now we are approved to buy the 2015 and we have locked in our deal price of paying the 2014 price for this van. The only downside to this is that we can't test drive the models here, so I have no idea how it handles etc.

We have 3 kids, all in car seats and I'm not worried about LATCH and Tether so much since one is close to being ready for a booster, and that leave 3 open LATCH and Tether positions(if I choose to use them). So my questions are:

How is it installing car seats in the captains chairs and the bench seat of the 3rd row? Hard? Somewhat difficult? Easy?

How do you like your Caravan overall?

How does it handle?

How is it on acceleration?

What do you DISLIKE about it?

SAHM to 3 beautiful boys, military wife of 5 years, urban Virginia born and raised, country central North Carolina replanted, USMC sent to Okinawa for 3 years(and counting), running obese mama(for now!), potty-mouthed, left- leaning moderate, kind- hearted, rock and metal lovin' type of woman.
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
beadingmom17
by Silver Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:35 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm more of a Ford person...

BUMP!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy2boys03
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:37 PM
1 mom liked this

We have a 2005 and putting the car seats in isn't really a problem.  The only issue I have had is getting the tether off since on the captian chairs it is at the bottom of the seat behind it.   The pick up isn't bad and folding down the seats is easy once you learn how.  The only downside we saw was gas milage.  Ours doesn't get the best gas milage.  My parents have owned either town and countries or dodge grand caravans since they came out.  They love them.

Garnet_Iris11
by Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:38 PM
1 mom liked this
My Mom has one and I've used it and enjoyed it. The carseat is so easy in the second row, third row getting it in to the back is hard but installation is fine. Mostly everything about it good, I have a lead foot so it helps curb that. LOL The one thing that I worry about is the sliding doors. In the times an item was to fall out or whatever, the door continues to close. Thankfully DD knows to stay away from it, but still it worries me. She has a backup camera, I only use it to see if another vehicle is coming or a pedestrian, never rely on it to accurately gauge distance.

Hope that helps.
waytomanykids10
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:41 PM
We have 2005 and I hate it. Car seats are a pain in the ass to install.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
o0gone0o
by Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 10:19 AM

I have a ford windstar, we are looking to get a dodge grand caravan once we can afford to replace the current van.

When installing carseats in our van we recline the seat a little get the straps as tight as we can then when we put the seat to the normal position the seat doesn't move at all.  I'm sure it would be about the same in the dodge.

BroomandHat
by New Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 12:36 PM

I loved mine, it was a little room on wheels and perfect for three kids. We have a Ford Expedition XL now and it is very nice but more of a truck instead of a car like the caravan.  Great for longgggggg trips! You will love it! Get leather seats for kid clean up- cloth sucks!

ATG499
by Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 7:23 PM

I have an '07 and I'm not a big fan. Car seat installations aren't the worst, but they definitely suck.

CafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers

(If you're on my Facebook, please don't say anything yet!!) 

mysweet1s
by on Jul. 2, 2014 at 7:43 AM

I had a new one in 2012, but sold it within a year.  Carseat installation was fine (I hate installing carseats in EVERY vehicle, lol.)  I don't know what kind of weather you will be driving in, but I'm from Wisconsin and it was HORRIBLE in the snow and on ice.  I have a Ford Explorer now and its awesome. 

bubbbaNbabygirl
by New Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 7:56 AM
i have a 2010 and love it! easy car seat install, drives great, good in our crazy winters, spacious, pulls camper/ boat great ect.
PeachQuean
by on Jul. 2, 2014 at 7:58 AM
My parents have a dodge caravan.

It's horrible.

Car seats don't always fit right.
They have replaced the breaks 6 times in 3 yrs.
If you go online to their manufacturing site, reviews state they have Shitty breaks that don't last long.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)