Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

moms photography career help

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:00 PM
  • 19 Replies
Wanting to take pictures professionally want to do this for a career so anything will help me

How to Take Stunning Portraits
Place to take them as well
And also best camera to use for photos
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steffielou_who
by Silver Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, I'm a photographer but it's not as simple as it seems.. YOu can take beautifulo pictures with just about any camera. You have to have an eye for photography.  Also, I take indoor and outdoor photos.. I don't have a studio but do some in my home for children and small families. 

My camera is a NIkon D7100. I paid big money for it but if you get a DSLR, you also haev to consider lenses as well.

Just4Games
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:28 PM
I really just want to take pictures of my kids professionally I thank you for ur advice I really need it.

What are some good scenes?

Quoting steffielou_who:

Well, I'm a photographer but it's not as simple as it seems.. YOu can take beautifulo pictures with just about any camera. You have to have an eye for photography.  Also, I take indoor and outdoor photos.. I don't have a studio but do some in my home for children and small families. 

My camera is a NIkon D7100. I paid big money for it but if you get a DSLR, you also haev to consider lenses as well.

HisUsmcWifey
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:39 PM

There's a lot that goes into it. I'd suggest getting an entry level DSLR and something other than a kit lens if you want to start doing photography as more than a hobby. I studied it a bit in high school and loved it so once I got out on my own and married I decided to take it further. I invested in a nice camera, schooling, and the best editing software programs money can buy. You need to know how to use your camera, shooting in Auto isn't going to make you a better photographer, you need to practice, and practice some more. Pro's only shoot in Manual, in doing such YOU are in control of the camera and it's settings. You have to learn the proper ISO, Shutter Speed, and aperture. You also have to learn the basics of lighting and composition. I suggest getting the book "Understanding Exposure" and reading it from cover to cover. Photography isn't just snapping away at photos or having a million dollar camera, you have to know your profession inside and out. It can take many years to fully understand the inside and out of this profession but if you're dedicated and want to do it you can! You also have to think about the cost of things in comparison. You have to factor in the cost of your camera, editing software, props, gas, your time going to do shoots and your time spent editing photos. One of my editing software programs is $500 alone and my camera and lens set up cost well over $2000. If you're not careful you will end up only making a few dollars an hour doing something that most people can't do. My first year I didn't make much, I nearly broke even because I was new and I wasn't sure what I should charge and how to run my own buisness. 4 years later I love what I do even more and I couldn't imagine doing anything else. I love making my own hours mostly and being around new people everyday. It's amazing being able to capture special moments in peoples lives.

*I'm a professional photographer that's been in the buisness for years and years, and I run my own website.* If you need help with anything else just let me know. :0)

Mammacra
by Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:42 PM
1 mom liked this
Bump I'm also curious about becoming a real photographer I take lots of pics everyone compliments me on them
HisUsmcWifey
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:43 PM

I just saw your other comment..If you're only wanting to learn photography to take photos of your kids then you won't need top dollar editing software or a super nice camera, though I will say that if you get a good entry level DSLR and have crappy programs to edit your photos that in itself can ruin them. I think a point and shoot sounds more like your style and they are a lot easier to use than DSLR's.

steffielou_who
by Silver Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 12:50 AM
The only editing software I use us for some people and I use portrait professional.. I do some black and whites and such but I use very minimal editing! The best bet is to make sure you shoot well enough to use it right out of the camera!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Just4Games
by on Jun. 30, 2014 at 1:34 PM
Omg yes thNk you for your help I appreciate it so much give me the name of ur website for me to check it out please....

Quoting HisUsmcWifey:

There's a lot that goes into it. I'd suggest getting an entry level DSLR and something other than a kit lens if you want to start doing photography as more than a hobby. I studied it a bit in high school and loved it so once I got out on my own and married I decided to take it further. I invested in a nice camera, schooling, and the best editing software programs money can buy. You need to know how to use your camera, shooting in Auto isn't going to make you a better photographer, you need to practice, and practice some more. Pro's only shoot in Manual, in doing such YOU are in control of the camera and it's settings. You have to learn the proper ISO, Shutter Speed, and aperture. You also have to learn the basics of lighting and composition. I suggest getting the book "Understanding Exposure" and reading it from cover to cover. Photography isn't just snapping away at photos or having a million dollar camera, you have to know your profession inside and out. It can take many years to fully understand the inside and out of this profession but if you're dedicated and want to do it you can! You also have to think about the cost of things in comparison. You have to factor in the cost of your camera, editing software, props, gas, your time going to do shoots and your time spent editing photos. One of my editing software programs is $500 alone and my camera and lens set up cost well over $2000. If you're not careful you will end up only making a few dollars an hour doing something that most people can't do. My first year I didn't make much, I nearly broke even because I was new and I wasn't sure what I should charge and how to run my own buisness. 4 years later I love what I do even more and I couldn't imagine doing anything else. I love making my own hours mostly and being around new people everyday. It's amazing being able to capture special moments in peoples lives.

*I'm a professional photographer that's been in the buisness for years and years, and I run my own website.* If you need help with anything else just let me know. :0)

HisUsmcWifey
by on Jun. 30, 2014 at 1:46 PM
I can use any photo SOOC but it's always nice to touch up things and make the people look their best.

Quoting steffielou_who: The only editing software I use us for some people and I use portrait professional.. I do some black and whites and such but I use very minimal editing! The best bet is to make sure you shoot well enough to use it right out of the camera!
HisUsmcWifey
by on Jun. 30, 2014 at 1:47 PM
www.denisebatsonphotography.zenfolio.com
:0)

Quoting Just4Games: Omg yes thNk you for your help I appreciate it so much give me the name of ur website for me to check it out please....

Quoting HisUsmcWifey:

christina122952
by on Jun. 30, 2014 at 5:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Bump I was thinking about being a photographer.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)