Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Stranger danger- what would you do? LONG

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2014 at 10:05 PM
  • 21 Replies
So, my mom asked me if this was the wrong thing to do. She saw a neighbor kid walking while it was raining. He is around 10 or 11 yrs old. She had seen him around the neighborhood and recognized him but did not know his name. She offered him a ride because of the rain but he declined. She later felt bad about it because of this story my brother told her.
My brother was driving home from work and saw his daughter (13yr old) and her friend walking home from the gas station and asked if they needed a ride. Some other guy pulled over and asked him " Hey! What are you trying to do with those girls?"
He said " that's my daughter" and his daughter said " It's ok. That's my dad!" My brother was mad at first but then he realized this guy was trying to do a good thing and thanked the guy.
So my mom felt like offering this kid she barely knew a ride was not a good. She went over and introduced herself to the kids parents and apologized for making him feel uncomfortable or scared.
I feel like she was just trying to be nice and help and she should not worry so much but then the question arises.
Would you have offered the kid a ride or does this fall under the stranger danger thing where you could look like you are trying to kidnap someone?
by on Jul. 2, 2014 at 10:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrsmoonbeam
by Member on Jul. 2, 2014 at 10:08 PM
2 moms liked this
No in todays world you cant offer a ride to a kid you dont know.
catngabsmom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 1:19 AM
3 moms liked this
I think she did the right thing. I am trying really hard to teach my girls that they should always be aware, but that they should also trust that there is still good in the world.
thatgirl70
by Carin on Jul. 3, 2014 at 1:30 AM
1 mom liked this

No, I wouldn't do it. You just can't be too careful.

Even as a 40+ year old adult, if someone offers me a ride, I still turn them down. You just can't be too careful.

polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 1:32 AM
1 mom liked this
My mom used to give rides to the kids that lived on our block when she saw them walking, but she knew all of their parents and they were all okay with it.
I'd probably do what your mom did.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xoch86
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 1:39 AM
1 mom liked this

I dunno, I completely get where she is coming from.. But with the way things are now, it really Is unsafe to do that.. You don't want the child to learn it's ok to take rides from ANYONE, and it's really hard to be able to tell who is ok, and so isn't.. It's good that he declined the ride, because for all he knew, your mom could have been a creeper. It's also good that she went to his parents to apologize, I don't think it was owed but it's good that the Parents knew she had good intentions and WASNT trying to be a creeper.

akLiLmama907
by Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 2:58 AM
1 mom liked this

There are very few people our son is allowed to accept rides from.

We've had this talk because a neighbor we didn't know offered him a ride, co.e to find out he's a pastor and a really nice family guy... but our son still won't take a ride from him or anyone else but the few he knows are ok. 

At least she introduced herself to him and his parents, that was a good idea.

ceciliam
by Cecilia on Jul. 3, 2014 at 5:55 PM
1 mom liked this

It's nice that your mom was trying to do a nice thing, but I'm more impressed with the 11 year old that knew not to get in a strangers car, even if he kind of knew her.

ceciliam
by Cecilia on Jul. 3, 2014 at 5:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Unfortunately, I would really have to know the kid to offer them a ride. You have to be careful from both sides.

Blue462
by Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 9:34 PM
When I was a kid , maybe 12 yrs old, I accepted a ride from an older lady when I got caught in the rain. I probably wouldn't have if it was a man but yeah. Who knows anymore? The world has changed a lot since I was a kid.

Quoting xoch86:

I dunno, I completely get where she is coming from.. But with the way things are now, it really Is unsafe to do that.. You don't want the child to learn it's ok to take rides from ANYONE, and it's really hard to be able to tell who is ok, and so isn't.. It's good that he declined the ride, because for all he knew, your mom could have been a creeper. It's also good that she went to his parents to apologize, I don't think it was owed but it's good that the Parents knew she had good intentions and WASNT trying to be a creeper.

Blue462
by Member on Jul. 3, 2014 at 9:41 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree. I think he had been to her house and offered to rake leaves before and another time at her garage sale but she didn't know his name or the parents. So I would say he didn't know her that well.
It is sad that people have to be so afraid of each other but unfortunately that's the way it is now.

Quoting ceciliam:

Unfortunately, I would really have to know the kid to offer them a ride. You have to be careful from both sides.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)