Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

My one year old son doesn't like full cream milk

Posted by on Jul. 6, 2014 at 9:09 PM
  • 19 Replies

Hi I'm looking for idea's on milk, my one year old son doesn't like it, spits and throws sipper cup it's the only food/drink he doesn't like. I am weaning him from formula and bottles in the next month, and I need to know if there's a milk out there I can use that covers all the vitamins and dairy needs. I live in Australia 

by on Jul. 6, 2014 at 9:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-PB
by Gold Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 9:26 PM
1 mom liked this

My dd refused whole milk when we switched.  Does he eat cheese and yogurt?  Milk is not really a must if he eats other dairy products.  If you are concerned ask the pediatrician about giving him a nutritional drink like pediasure or something.  You could also try almond or soy milk.  Also try mixing cow's milk with formula over a period of time.  Like for week do 1 part cows milk, 3  parts formula.  Then the next week mix half formula, half milk.  Then 1 part formula, 3 parts milk, etc.

jackiewal10
by Gold Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 9:35 PM

Dairy is never a NEED.  The human body doesn't need to drink milk of any kind after weaning.  Vitamins and good fats can all be found in foods.  Avocado is a great "fatty" food.  If you feel you need a milk, I would try almond milk.  Then coconut milk if the almond doesn't go over well.  I would avoid anything soy.  Soy is not good for you, but especially for a boy, as it contains estrogen-mimicking hormones.  But also, don't expect him to like anything right off the bat.  Also remember, milk is a drink, not a form of nutrition.  12-16 ounces a day is really all the milk that should be consumed.

Retrokitty
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 9:37 PM
There is no need for milk.

Green leafy veggies will get you all the calcium and vitamins plus more.
Bleacheddecay
by Silver Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 10:02 PM

I agree milk is not something needed after breastfeedin.

My son didn't like milk either. He did like yogurt drinks. Yogurt mixed with milk, and apple juice.

Btw, the soy menace is completely blown out of proportion. He and I have both had soy products every day of our lives with no issues whatsoever.

booaura
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 10:08 PM
We use goat milk, and the kids all love it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Jul. 6, 2014 at 11:45 PM
We don't drink a lot of milk. Our kids are fine.
calviinsmommy
by on Jul. 6, 2014 at 11:51 PM

Mobile Photo

My daughter had the same problem I used the enfamil toddler vanilla drink
LoveMyBoyK
by Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 11:52 PM
My son would only drink almond milk after we stopped formula.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chefmartha
by Gold Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 12:00 AM

It is correct that you don't need milk and that there are other sources for the nutrients and fats found in the milk.

One thing I have noticed is how much easier it was to transition my girls from pureed foods to regular table foods, than it was to transition my son. (he is older) With DS I used the jarred baby foods and when it came time for him to switch to tablefood he hated it. The jarred stuff just tasted different. But with my girls, we used a frozen pureed baby food instead of the jarred stuff and they transitioned to the table food long before their brother did at the same age.  No point really just an observation.

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Jul. 7, 2014 at 1:58 AM
This. Also, op- have you tried skim?

Quoting -PB:

My dd refused whole milk when we switched.  Does he eat cheese and yogurt?  Milk is not really a must if he eats other dairy products.  If you are concerned ask the pediatrician about giving him a nutritional drink like pediasure or something.  You could also try almond or soy milk.  Also try mixing cow's milk with formula over a period of time.  Like for week do 1 part cows milk, 3  parts formula.  Then the next week mix half formula, half milk.  Then 1 part formula, 3 parts milk, etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)