Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Why am I scared to have another child?

Posted by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 2:49 AM
  • 15 Replies
My dh really wants another child. We have 2 kids a boy 8yrs and a girl 4 yrs. I always think financial since I'm a stay at home mom. I have to budget everything out. I'm just scared we will fall into financial hardship. But I do want another child just don't know if we are financially ready for another ?
by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 2:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommySwiggles
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 2:51 AM
If you wait until you are financially ready, you will never have another.
booaura
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 2:53 AM
1 mom liked this
If you aren't financially ready, don't have a child. You have two, it would be selfish and irresponsible to have another if you can't afford it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
booaura
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 2:53 AM
This is very untrue.

Quoting MommySwiggles: If you wait until you are financially ready, you will never have another.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommySwiggles
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 2:55 AM
1 mom liked this
You've never heard the saying? It means there will never be 'enough' money. How do you put a price tag on a child? If you are financially stable and can provide the necessities as well as a little extra, then IMO that's ready enough.

Quoting booaura: This is very untrue.

Quoting MommySwiggles: If you wait until you are financially ready, you will never have another.
booaura
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 2:59 AM
I have, but I think it's an excuse to have children before you are really ready for them. There is a difference between being able to handle the financial burden of another child and not being able to. If you can't maintain your current lifestyle if you add another child, you probably aren't ready for another one. Unless you have an insanely lavish lifestyle.

Quoting MommySwiggles: You've never heard the saying? It means there will never be 'enough' money. How do you put a price tag on a child? If you are financially stable and can provide the necessities as well as a little extra, then IMO that's ready enough.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommySwiggles
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 3:04 AM
I guess I never really thought of my kids as a financial burden. I've always known that I wanted to be a mom so there was no question about it really, we learned as we went. We've hit some hard financial times but for the most part, we do well. We have 3 kiddos and they can each do extra curriculars. They have new clothes and shoes when they need them, we can afford bday and Christmas (we budget Christmas starting in July). If I were to get pregnant today, I would probably attempt to pay off one of our vehicles quicker but that's about the only change I would need to make. Even if I couldn't, it wouldn't make too much of a difference. Not at first anyway, babies don't do much lol.

Quoting booaura: I have, but I think it's an excuse to have children before you are really ready for them. There is a difference between being able to handle the financial burden of another child and not being able to. If you can't maintain your current lifestyle if you add another child, you probably aren't ready for another one. Unless you have an insanely lavish lifestyle.

Quoting MommySwiggles: You've never heard the saying? It means there will never be 'enough' money. How do you put a price tag on a child? If you are financially stable and can provide the necessities as well as a little extra, then IMO that's ready enough.

booaura
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 3:08 AM
1 mom liked this
I always wanted to be a mother as well. I just never wanted to have to worry about how I'd provide for my kids. I wanted to have the security on knowing they'd always be taken care of, and that money wouldn't be an issue. Babies may not cost much, but as they get older, they do. We have three, and I'm pregnant with twins. We own our home and cars. No debt, studen loans or otherwise, or we wouldn't have had more kids. But that is how I was raised. Other people were raised with the adage 'if you wait to be financially ready, you'll never have kids'. I was raised that you get financially ready, then have kids.

Quoting MommySwiggles: I guess I never really thought of my kids as a financial burden. I've always known that I wanted to be a mom so there was no question about it really, we learned as we went. We've hit some hard financial times but for the most part, we do well. We have 3 kiddos and they can each do extra curriculars. They have new clothes and shoes when they need them, we can afford bday and Christmas (we budget Christmas starting in July). If I were to get pregnant today, I would probably attempt to pay off one of our vehicles quicker but that's about the only change I would need to make. Even if I couldn't, it wouldn't make too much of a difference. Not at first anyway, babies don't do much lol.

Quoting booaura: I have, but I think it's an excuse to have children before you are really ready for them. There is a difference between being able to handle the financial burden of another child and not being able to. If you can't maintain your current lifestyle if you add another child, you probably aren't ready for another one. Unless you have an insanely lavish lifestyle.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Jul. 7, 2014 at 8:05 AM

Then wait if you're not financially ready.  Children are expensive and get more expensive as they get older.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

CampClan
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 8:54 PM

IMO- if you wait until you are ready you will never be ready. KWIM?

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Jul. 8, 2014 at 10:02 PM
Whichever. Are you just a worrier?

Do you ever plan on going back to work? Waiting on kids will delay that even more...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)