Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Could it be possible that she got it from her uncle??

Posted by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 8:53 PM
  • 9 Replies

I work in child care & have a new infant (born in February, started attending a week ago). Mom is fairly young. I had mom's younger brother as a preK kid a few years ago & she was graduating high school when he was going into Kindergarten. When I had the boy in my preK class I was told by his mother that he had asthma like symptoms that were triggered by eating or drinking dairy products. 

Now I have this little girl, the boy's neice, in my infant class. She came to me with a cold, or so I thought. Over the course of the week it's gotten worse. Clear snot coming from her nose, thick salivia/spit up/drool. She also is VERY gassy & her belly is very hard as if she is consitpated. She also screams alot unless she is lying on her belly. Her mom said she has always been like that. And today she sounded weezy.

But now that I think about it, this sounds like something that could possibly be triggered by her formula. She's on Similac. Which is a MILK product. I am wondering if mom were to switch to soy if that will help her? One of the other teachers spoke to her the other night when she picked up (the other teacher dealt with something similar with her own DD) & the mom looked relived that there was something that could be done to help her baby.

I'm just wondering if it's possible that the baby has the same issue with dairy that her uncle has?? And maybe mom just doesn't realize it yet? I am definitely going to say something to her tomorrow when she drops the baby off. I just wanted to see what others thought.

by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 8:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
booaura
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 9:00 PM
Asthma can be familial, so it is possible. But it is not contagious, so she didn't 'get' it from the uncle.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Thelmama
by Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 9:03 PM

Allergies can be genetic. I wouldn't say she got it from her uncle but genetics are a factor as allergies run in families.  My son has severe allergies, I had them as a child. My girls do not.  My son used to have asthma. I had asthma as a child too. He no longer has asthma symptoms.  He still has food allergies. All of them get hayfever pretty bad in the fall and spring but only he has severe food allergies. 

jackiewal10
by Gold Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 9:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Asthma is a genetic condition, but not necessarily triggered by the same thing.  Also, bring up the formula, but rather than suggest soy, suggest that she make an appointment with her pedi to discuss options.  Soy is almost never a good idea.  And since you are not a doctor, you shouldn't be suggesting anything in the form of change to the mother.  Plus, soy has almost the same ill-effects on people as dairy does.  It's not really a good alternative.

-PB
by Gold Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 9:24 PM

Yes, allergies and asthma can be genetic.  My uncle is allergic to onions and so am I. :-(

thecricket
by New Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 9:40 PM

Sounds more lactose intolerant. Although, very few babies, are lactose intolerant, she may be

one of them. 

There is Similac, and Similac Sensitive, the

later being lactose free. 

You are very wise, for caring so much,

great job, to you, for your efforts.

CampClan
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 11:18 PM
I know this. I meant as in genetics.

Quoting booaura: Asthma can be familial, so it is possible. But it is not contagious, so she didn't 'get' it from the uncle.
AM-BRAT
by Amber on Jul. 8, 2014 at 8:55 AM

Could be.

sharynat
by New Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 1:27 AM

Oh it's very possible. And you are doing the right thing.

a_and_j_momma
by Gold Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 2:27 AM
It's possible due to genetics. Her best bet is to talk to a doc about the symptoms once you point it out
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)