Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

I have to make the decision to be OK with it before I can even mention it to DF (PIOG)

Posted by on Jul. 17, 2014 at 4:23 PM
  • 40 Replies

My Mom wants to take DD (3.5) on a trip soon ... just DD. It's a 3+ hour drive (my Mom is an OK driver, but I can count on both hands the amount of accidents that she's been in for as long as I can remember) both ways ... she wants to leave on a Saturday afternoon and return on a Tuesday evening. My Mom is going to visit with her BF, whom I have never met, and his grandchildren. (They dated in HS and recently reconnected.)  

I dont know how to feel about it. I have never been away from DD for more than maybe 24 hours and she has been within 20 minutes drive time from me. She doesn't like knew people, she is very clingy when she's nervous/scared and my Mom can not physically pick her up. Did I mention the drive is 3+ hours both ways and she'll be gone nearly 3 days? 

When she was talking about it and asking, she wasn't asking if I woud mind, she was asking if DF would mind. I looked at her and I was like "Really, I'm suppose to automatically be fine with it? I'll think it over and then talk to him." I wasn't nasty or anything about it, just making a general comment. She doesn't know when it is that she'll be going, or she just left that part out. I don't know.

So I'm going to think about it tonight and talk to him about it tomorrow I guess and see what he says. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

by on Jul. 17, 2014 at 4:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bmat
by Barb on Jul. 17, 2014 at 7:27 PM
5 moms liked this

I think with a 3 year old that I'd go with my gut. Especially since you don't know the guy, and if I understand correctly, your mom hasn't known him for years?

Regardless. I vote no.  You won't regret not sending her, but you might regret if you do. Just tell your mom that she isn't old enough yet.

booaura
by Bronze Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 7:29 PM
6 moms liked this
No. I didn't read past you not knowing him. I wouldn't let my small child go to some strange man's house.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bcauseimthemom
by Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 7:40 PM
3 moms liked this

There would be no way in hell that I would send my child with my mother on a long weekend trip to go visit her boyfriend that you don't even know.  Then factor in the grandchildren you don't know and your daughter's anxiexty...  The answer would be a Big Fat NO.....

MusherMaggie
by Bronze Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 7:41 PM
1 mom liked this
No. I don't know what her purpose would be in taking your child on such a trip. She wants to spend time with your child, she does it at your house.
jeepasaurusrex
by New Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 7:51 PM

Nope.  No way.

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 7:53 PM
This

Quoting booaura: No. I didn't read past you not knowing him. I wouldn't let my small child go to some strange man's house.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mylilsunshine
by Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 7:55 PM
Umm No
FrankMamma
by Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 8:24 PM

No. You don't know the guy, your mother hasn't seen him in years.....no. Just talking to him on the phone once is not enough to form a good opinion. Your dd is to young to be doing something like that without you. Even if he's still the nice guy your mom remembers, what is dd supposed to do while they catch up on their lives? She doesn't like new people and your mom will not be able to pick her up to comfort her. If you could go along it would be different, but at 3.5 she's to young for a situation like this.

PsMama717
by Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 8:50 PM

I whole heartedly agree with all the posts above...hells no, period!

southernlovely1
by New Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 9:15 PM
1 mom liked this

No. You have reservations for a reason. Listen to you. You are feeling strange about this as well as you should. You don't know these people(boyfriend and his grandkids). Your mom going to meet him is fine, but not with your little one. You all can meet him when your mother is better acquainted with him. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)