Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

What is the best thing that your mom taught you?

Posted by on Jul. 22, 2014 at 9:41 AM
  • 112 Replies

Possibly the best thing my mom taught me was to plan ahead. What about you and your mom?

by on Jul. 22, 2014 at 9:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lordgodempress
by Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 9:42 AM
3 moms liked this

I learned a lot from my mom, mostly I learned from her mistakes but I think striving to be the opposite of my mom made me a better parent and a better parent.

Tohru_Lynn89
by Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 9:44 AM
1 mom liked this
My mom taught me that no matter what your circumstances are you can always go back to school and succeed. When I was 8 she left my dad and went from a sahm to a single mother of 4 young kids, worked part time and went back to school part time to get her associates degree so she could get a better job. She now works full time at Michigan State University.
BrooklynsMom11
by Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 9:44 AM
2 moms liked this
She taught me a lot and I love her dearly but a good bit of what I learned from watching her is what NOT to do. (Alcohol, drugs, always needing a man, picking losers, etc.)
Bmat
by Barb on Jul. 22, 2014 at 9:49 AM

I tried to avoid some policies and mistakes that I felt that my parents made, too.  My sons still complained. *sigh*

Quoting Lordgodempress:

I learned a lot from my mom, mostly I learned from her mistakes but I think striving to be the opposite of my mom made me a better parent and a better parent.

Cafe Steph
by Group Admin on Jul. 22, 2014 at 9:50 AM
1 mom liked this

Choose your battles. Some things, whether with the kids or with hubby, just aren't worth fighting over.

Bmat
by Barb on Jul. 22, 2014 at 9:52 AM

Wonderful about your mom. She is an example to all moms for seeing her way and pursuing it.

I am an MSU alumna, by the way. :) 

Quoting Tohru_Lynn89: My mom taught me that no matter what your circumstances are you can always go back to school and succeed. When I was 8 she left my dad and went from a sahm to a single mother of 4 young kids, worked part time and went back to school part time to get her associates degree so she could get a better job. She now works full time at Michigan State University.

Bmat
by Barb on Jul. 22, 2014 at 9:52 AM

*nodding* 

Quoting BrooklynsMom11: She taught me a lot and I love her dearly but a good bit of what I learned from watching her is what NOT to do. (Alcohol, drugs, always needing a man, picking losers, etc.)

Bmat
by Barb on Jul. 22, 2014 at 9:53 AM

It is good that you learned this early. I didn't learn it until a few years ago. :)

Quoting Cafe Steph:

Choose your battles. Some things, whether with the kids or with hubby, just aren't worth fighting over.

cholita1978
by on Jul. 22, 2014 at 9:57 AM
1 mom liked this

My mom taught me to be independent, not to depend on any man.  You might think she was a single mom, but no she was married to my dad for 33 years until he passed away in 2012.  Even though she was married, she has always worked, and her and my dad split the bills 50/50 all the time, she would cook, and my dad would do laundry and clean.

Bmat
by Barb on Jul. 22, 2014 at 9:59 AM
1 mom liked this

I am sorry for the loss of your dad. :(

Your mom sounds like a strong and intelligent lady.

Quoting cholita1978:

My mom taught me to be independent, not to depend on any man.  You might think she was a single mom, but no she was married to my dad for 33 years until he passed away in 2012.  Even though she was married, she has always worked, and her and my dad split the bills 50/50 all the time, she would cook, and my dad would do laundry and clean.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN