Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Do you have glasses?

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:37 PM
  • 52 Replies

If so do you get them at your eye doctor or from Walmart or some place like that?  We went to the eye doctor recently and got our appointmets.  I has been years since I have gotten new glasses(I usually wear my contacts) but my glasses are falling apart so I wanted to get a new pair.  I didn't want anything special, just the frames and lens.  The only thing was the lenses needed to be a bit thinner as my prescription is high.  Other then that just basic.  So, I get the quote, and even with insurance it is $450!  I asked for my prescription to take with my and I will try Walmart.  Where do you get yours?

by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
casah4
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:39 PM

I get mine from Walmart because I wear contacts almost all the time. For a basic pair with the thin lenses (my script is a -10!) it was about $180.

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:44 PM

Good to hear. That is much better then $450!

Quoting casah4:

I get mine from Walmart because I wear contacts almost all the time. For a basic pair with the thin lenses (my script is a -10!) it was about $180.

WILDCATGAL78
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:15 PM

I am like you - I typically wear my contacts. I got new glasses last year and I just ended up getting them from the eye doctors. With my insurance the cost would have been around the same. But I would not hesitate to get them from Wal Mart if it was cheaper.

ambcortez
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I get mine from an eyeglasses store. 

tinkerxbell
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:20 PM

I got mine at walmart last year. They were like 60 bucks (I don't have good vision insurance).. My DH's were a little more since he has to get the thinner lenses too but it wasn't terrible.. I've tried getting DS's glasses at walmart but it doesn't work out well for him there.. his were about 200 this year.

waytomanykids10
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:20 PM
1 mom liked this
I wear glasses, I just get them from the same eye Dr office I have my eye exam done at. They are about $300. My 10yo gets them at the same place.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
djg0622
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:23 PM
I got mine at the eye drs office. I use one that is on the insurance list. I don't think I paid more than $20 after insurance and I have the lenses that become sunglasses when you are outside. The 1st or 2nd year I went there they had a secretary that didn't know what she was doing and I ended up paying over $100 for my contact exam and the next year they told it was covered.
countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:14 PM

I usually only wear my glasses at night and first thing in the morning because my vision is so bad, lol. 

Quoting WILDCATGAL78:

I am like you - I typically wear my contacts. I got new glasses last year and I just ended up getting them from the eye doctors. With my insurance the cost would have been around the same. But I would not hesitate to get them from Wal Mart if it was cheaper.

ColieO
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:16 PM
1 mom liked this
I get mine from Zennioptical.com. I just bought one pair, added anti glare and also got a pair of prescription sunglasses for less than $40 total.
proudmommy690
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:17 PM
1 mom liked this
Every pair I've ever gotten I've gotten from Val U Vision because they normally have a buy 1 get 1 special. But walmart has some pretty cheap frames.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)