Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

toddler tantrums?

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:43 PM
  • 7 Replies
1 mom liked this

My daughter is 14 months old and lately has been acting out a lot more than usual.  If I take something away from her or tell her "no" or take her away from something, she'll throw herself down on the ground and start crying and kicking and basically throwing a tantrum.  It usually only lasts for a few minutes but she's been doing it more and more everyday and I'm not sure what to do about it other than ignoring the behavior which doesn't seem to be working since she keeps doing it.

I'm almost 8 months pregnant so I'm wondering if in some way she's worried about the new baby being born and that's why she's been acting like this or if it's just her age.  I feel like I'm doing something wrong though but is this just pretty typical behavior for a 14 month old?  Any advice would be very helpful!

by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
cheyenne2
by New Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 2:04 PM

You may need to start bribing her or rewarding her with somethinfg tangible for good behavior . I HAVE to do this w/ my Bubb bc if not it won't be a good day for either ofd us..lol you're right about ignoting the behavior and  just be patient..when she starts kicking and throwing things..explain to her very seriously that she needs to do what you need...she'll come around..good luck

rachellaree20
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 3:10 PM

I hope she'll calm down because this behavior is so new and unlike her because she hasn't acted like this before.  It only started a couple of weeks ago.  My dh's solution is to swat her butt but I don't agree with it and don't think it helps the behavior.  We need to be able to get on the same page about discipline somehow.

ajpuck
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 3:20 PM
My daughter is 2 and i just had a baby...She's about a month old now. But my daughter started acting up and having tantrums around 18 months. And to make things worse she has picked up bad habits from other kids. My daughter tantrums consist of her screaming bloody murder and yelling in my face. I keep asking myself is 26 months too young to start busting her butt. I'm afraid the baby is going to have anxiety because of her older sisters temper. I usually just take the oldest to her bed and make her stay in there until she calms down....but sometimes that might take an hour....now when her dad is home..She dont do it as much....
ajpuck
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 3:23 PM
And it sucks since you 8 months pregnant. When I was 8 months pregnant and i was trying to scold the oldest she would run from me....made me so mad...but i was so big at 8 months I let her go. I know your pain...it's stressful and made me feel like a bad parent.
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 3:26 PM
Walk away and ignore her
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rachellaree20
by Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 12:02 PM
1 mom liked this

My daughter does that too.  She'll run and try to hide in the kitchen which in our small apartment means I can catch up to her pretty quickly.  It takes forever to get off the couch lately though or whatever I happen to be sitting on since I'm huge and my hips keep getting out of place so walking is painful.  It's been helpful lately when it's not too hot outside, to take her to the park to get some of her energy out.

Quoting ajpuck: And it sucks since you 8 months pregnant. When I was 8 months pregnant and i was trying to scold the oldest she would run from me....made me so mad...but i was so big at 8 months I let her go. I know your pain...it's stressful and made me feel like a bad parent.

Retrokitty
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 12:22 PM
1 mom liked this
All kids tantrum.

Their frontal cortex which is used for emotional and impulse control is underdeveloped. They have no control over their emotions at that age. You have to realize her brain is different than yours. Think if the worst thing that has happened to you and how you felt. X that by 2. That's how your daughter feels everytime she doesn't get something she wants. To her it is very painful.
Emotional control isn't something kids are born being able to do. It takes some developing but also some help from you.

The best thing you can do at this age is redirect and distract. As she gets older start teaching her emotional control techniques when she tantrums. Teach her breathing, and counting etc. you can make a calm down bottle for her to shake when she gets angry.

Also you need to be mirroring the behaviour you want. Do not get frustrated with her, do not yell at her. You are only teaching her that behaviour is okay.

This isn't something that will end over night. You have a few more years of this. Just remember to focus on teaching her how to behave better. Replace each unwanted behaviour with a wanted one. So everytime you say "no you can't do that" show her what she can do instead.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)