Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 year old waking at night for a drink?

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 3:28 PM
  • 5 Replies

I took my 2 boys for a well visit today. The baby has no issues but my toddler is waking at night for a drink, eating a lot and not gaining weight and requesting a lot of drinks throughout the day. I am taking him for bloodwork to take him for Type 1 Diabetes testing.  The dr said it was unusual for him to wake up in the night for a drink and he shouldn't be doing that but I myself wake up a couple times a night to drink water (I breastfeed too but did this long before then). Has anyone else had any experience with a possible Juvenile Diabetes toddler? How do I help him put weight on and I have a hard time NOT giving him fluids when he is thirsty because I am the same way! Type 1 diabetes does run in my family but I do not (to my knowledge) have it. 

by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 3:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
dx1066
by New Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 4:13 PM

My 2 year old daughter does the same thing.  I was worried about diabetes, until my father in law told me that my husband was the same way when he was little.  He drank all of his calories.  I asked my pediatrician about it, and he told me not to worry until I start to see other symptoms.  He said at this age I should be happy to get one good meal a day out of her.

rocamom
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 4:15 PM
My daughter is 7. I put a cup of water next to her bed and she drinks part of it almost nightly. My dr has never shown concern. Hopefully your son is all set and just thirsty.
LuLuRex
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 4:41 PM

My daughter is a night time drinker too. She was tested when she was younger and everything was ok. Good luck mama!

GabeandTobysmom
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 5:32 PM

Thank you all. I thought it was kind of odd how she red flagged it but I guess she is just like that. I have people tell me there is no reason he shouldn't be sleeping through the night because he is 2 but I believe that just like we can't lump adults into one category, we shouldn't for babies and children either. 

Bieg9093
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:09 PM

Waking up during the night for a drink is not a red flag.  Combined with family history and eating/drinking much more than his peers during the day...that's enough for a closer look.  The pedi is correct to investigate.  Good luck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)