Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Picky eater help

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 4:38 PM
  • 8 Replies

Hello Moms!!  I am new to this site, but am really struggling to find a good answer to a problem I have been dealing with for several years.  My son just turned 8 Sunday.  He is a very picky eater.  As in he only eats: Chicken nuggets, pizza, fries, bacon, pancakes and peanut butter sandwiches with the smallest layer of peanut butter.  I have tried so many things to get him to expand his taste buds horizons (even the "Oh he will eat when he is hungry so cook what is nutritious and he will eat" approach....he didn't eat for days and I cried every night behind his back and caved).   Today I took him to the Doctor for his annual Well visit and his Hemoglobin came up a little low for the first time.  It was 9 (they like it to be at least 10) which means he is showing signs of becoming anemic.  This is a huge wake up call for me.  I have catered to his awful eating habits for too long.  It has also effected my eating because I am a single Mother and I usually just don't cook at all since I end up with so much left over it gets wasted.  I have even tried having him HELP me cook.  He likes to do it!! But still wont even try the food.  He literally CRIES when I ask him to "Try" the food.  Please help!  I cant keep eating frozen dinners and take out.  I miss cooking meals.  And I am really concerned about my sons nutrition.  I just hope I am not too late to change things.

by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 4:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
rockinmomto2
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 5:40 PM

It may be a texture thing. Take him to a doctor that specializes in sensory issues. And try to give him Pediasure or drinks like that to help even out his vitamin deficiencies.

TylersMom999
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:10 PM

Would he drink a smoothie?...I understand he needs different foods but you could put lots of fruits and vegetables in the smoothie and he might not even notice it had veggies in it that would give him some nutrition he is not getting.  

Could you take him to a nutritionist and get some advice from them?

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:16 PM

My rule is you have to try X number of bites based on age.  For example: He would at least have to try 8 bites.  I would also offer a reward for this as well.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

emkirkley
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:29 PM
Look into food chaining and feeding therapy, does he have any other issues
-PB
by Gold Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:36 PM

Checkout the sneakychef.com.  They have some great ideas on sneaking fruits and veggies into recipes like adding puréed sweet potatoes to Mac n cheese, puréed spinach and blueberries to brownies, and puréed carrots to spaghetti sauce (which could also be used on homemadepizza or lasagna).  Does he eat red meat?

Retrokitty
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:27 PM
Sensory processing disorder? I would talk to a doctor about it.
MusherMaggie
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 10:27 AM
Does he have lip or tongue ties? These can cause food texture issues, as well as dental and speech problems.
Skittles0925
by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 2:23 PM

Thanks for all the responses.  As far as smoothies go...he wont drink them.  I wish he would.  He doesnt eat any pasta, not even mac n cheese so it would be hard to sneak stuff into it :(   I have tried to reward him on taking bites.  I took all video games and things he likes to play with away and would reward him with "Play time" based on how many bites he took.  We made a chart and everything.  It still didnt work.  He was just bored and hungry.   He has no medical issues except for allergy problems due to hay fever.  So he takes claratin daily.  And as far as tongue ties or lip stuff......all good there.  No problems.  He is literally just scared of food.  The only semi-red meat he will eat is bacon.  And he wont even eat egg with it.  Just bacon.  I am so lost and worried.  I feel like I have tried everything.  He just wont budge.  Its difficult too when he sleeps over friends houses cause he wont eat.  So I have to either send him with food, or just hide it and give cash for pizza (which he eats only cheese pizza. Nothing else on it.)  Its so frustrating.  Im a good mom.  I know I am...but I dont know how to fix this.  I am not one to get angry or mad.  So Ive been handling this as nicely and patiently as I can.  But its getting out of hand. Especially now that he is borderline anemic because he isnt getting proper nutrician. (((Im pulling my hair out almost))) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)