• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stomach Ache

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 5:54 PM
  • 8 Replies

I took my son to the pediatrician today bc i thought he had a ear infection but turns out it was swimmers ear....anyway while i was there i also discussed with the dr that my son has been complaining with his stomach hurting.  This is not bent over pain he is in but he complains with it off and on.  He says the pain is around his belly button area.  So the doctor said with it being in that area and if he didnt have blood in his stools or anything of that nature that it is common for kids his age to have stomach aches...He is 8 yrs old by the way...I thought that was a strange reply from a doctor.  I trust his judgement but thought that was a bit strange so I would like to know if you have kids in this age range do they have stomach aches frequently?  

by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 5:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
carolina_gal
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 7:53 AM

How long has he been having these tummy aches?   DS had appendicitis and it started around the belly button area.

happynewyorker
by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 12:28 PM

Sometimes when a doctor says something I don't agree with I use the internet to help.  My daughter gets a belly ache when she eats too much food.  Sometimes it can be from eating to much ice cream.  Other than that, she really doesn't have stomach aches.  I found this link for you.

http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/health-concerns/childhood-illnesses/abdominal-pain

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Jul. 24, 2014 at 3:52 PM

How often does he get them?  Has he always had them or are they a newer thing? 

Bleacheddecay
by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 10:27 PM

Yes. My son did at that age and still does at 21 sometimes. With colon issues on both sides of the family it's scary. My son also has anxiety and I'm not sure how that feeds into it. You might consider probiotics.

a_and_j_momma
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 11:33 PM
Keep a journal of how often it happens
la_bella_vita
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:55 AM

As someone who has dealt with stomach issues on and off their whole life, your best thing to do is keep a journal of how often it happens. I figured out my son was getting stomach aches when he had a certain amount of dairy.

HamsterandCow
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:50 PM
My son had nearly constant stomach aches when he was 9-10. I took him to a pediatric gastroenterologist and he ran all kinds of tests. That dr told me the same thing...kids that age get stomach aches a lot possibly due to normal stress and anxiety. He is a couple of years older now and the stomach aches have almost completely disappeared.
Mrs_Snail
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 4:39 PM
Dd likes a lot her probiotic drops and I have the feeling that she's been lying recently her stomach ached only because she wanted to have some.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)