• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Your TV was broke by your kid's friend while staying over so who's responsible?

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:51 PM
  • 27 Replies

Poll

Question: Who's responsible for what?

Options:

Guest family 100% full value of brand new tv.

Guest family 100% diminished value for a used tv.

Both host and guest family Brand new tv 50/50

Both host and guest family 50/50 on diminished value used tv

Host family 100% kids were in their charge.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 68

View Results

Here's the situation:
You and your 12 year old son invite his ADHD 11 year old friend to sleep over. At pick up ADHD kid's dad forgets to give you his meds for next morning. You are aware that the child has ADHD and can be just as rambunctious as your child. So afternoon while dad's asleep and kids are playing mom decides to shower. Upon existing the shower mom finds the 1 to 2 year old big screen living room tv cracked and non-functional. Both children admit to throwing things and rough housing but the guest child believes that the item he threw was the one that actually hit the tv. Who's responsible for replacing the tv? Host family, guest family or both?

If not the host family then should the guest family be expected to pay for a brand new tv or should the host family only expect the guest family to offer up the value of a used year old model?
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luvemboth
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:04 PM
2 moms liked this
In this situation, I'd say the host family is responsible. It was a complete accident and no one is 100% sure who even did the damage. If it was a malicious act done on purpose that'd be different; or even if an adult told them to stop rough housing, he didn't listen and someone saw without a doubt that he did the damage, but that's not the case here.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
-PB
by Gold Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I say 50/50 deminished value.  While it was the 11 year old that broke the tv, it could have just as easily been the 12 as he was throwing things as well.  I would say the the 12 year old needs to pay the other half via allowance, chores etc. because he should have known to tell his friend not to throw things in the house.  I also would not have the 11 year old over for a while.  

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:27 PM
1 mom liked this

100% host family.  It was their child who should have known the rules of not throwing things in the house or if that rule does't exist it was their responsibility to make a rule like that.  It was an accident and they left the children alone and the kids did something they weren't supposed to and no adult was there to stop them and their own child didn't say it wasn't allowed.  To me it doesn't sound like it has anything to do with ADHD as both children were throwing and rough housing. 

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:29 PM
4 moms liked this

I should add, with that being said, if I was the host family I would fully expect to pay for it, but if I was the mother of the guest kid and I found out it had happened I would offer to pay some because I would feel bad for my kids involvement.

a_and_j_momma
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:32 PM
1 mom liked this
Host family. They aren't 100% sure who did it. Both kids were doing it. The host knew the kid didn't have ADHD meds and didn't have the father bring them or go get them (although I think ADHD meds or not had nothing to do with this incident)
Mrs.Urquhart
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:41 PM
3 moms liked this
Host family. The child was in your care, and not being properly watched. Not the other family's fault.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
terpmama
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:55 PM
1 mom liked this
This

Quoting luvemboth: In this situation, I'd say the host family is responsible. It was a complete accident and no one is 100% sure who even did the damage. If it was a malicious act done on purpose that'd be different; or even if an adult told them to stop rough housing, he didn't listen and someone saw without a doubt that he did the damage, but that's not the case here.
AM-BRAT
by Amber on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:57 PM
I would hope the kids' family would offer to help. Since I would.

But I guess you might have to bite it. Gawd I'd be pissed.
Liastele
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:58 PM

Your son should replace it. At 12 he is old enough to stop such things from happening in his house. Put him to work around the neighborhood to earn money to replace the TV.

manycoolkids
by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 12:49 AM
This is a tuff one. I've had things broken here by other kids. Vacuum, wooden doll furniture etc. Mom was here but never offered to pay. I say it depends on the age of kids. Kids break things regardless of cost of things broke. If the kids were older I would say either they had to split the cost of a new tv 50/50 by earning the money. If it was a young child situation I would 'hope' the guest family would offer some type of money. But I guess if my child were over someone's house and broke something expensive not only would I be embarrassed I would feel like my child either wasn't watched well or he/she was so wild he/she wasn't allowed to visit friends again! I guess because your hosting it's hard to charge someone else because it could of easily been your child since they were both playing. I do think the kids should be in trouble wether it be having to do chores around your house or go and earn it on there own. On a side note we rarely have friends over because we seem to get a crazy group here lol! My husband has a border line heart attack. We already have soon to be 5 young kids ourselves.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)